KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) — A Hawaii man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for a drunken driving car crash that left a woman dead.
Austin Kembel, 23, was sentenced Wednesday for the March 2018 accident that killed 41-year-old Trina Walker and injured another man, West Hawaii Today reported
Kembel pleaded no contest to first-degree negligent homicide in January. Prosecutors dropped charges of manslaughter and second-degree negligent injury in exchange for the plea.
Kembel’s defense attorney, Michael Schlueter, asked for probation for his client but Kona Circuit Court Judge Melvin H. Fujino imposed the maximum possible sentence.
Family and friends of Walker in the courtroom applauded after Fujino announced the sentence.
The accident around in North Kona on Hawaii Island involved three cars, police said.
Kembel’s vehicle hit Walker’s car while attempting to pass it on the right. The collision sent Walker’s vehicle spinning into the northbound lane of the highway, where it was hit by another vehicle.
Walker was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Kembel and the driver of the third vehicle were both hospitalized.
The Hawaii Paroling Authority will determine how much time Kembel will serve before becoming eligible for parole.
Kembel, who was free on bail pending sentencing, was taken into custody after the judge’s ruling.
Walker’s sister, Tracey Maley, said Kembel “has forever altered the trajectory of all our lives.”
“He forced an unimaginably heartbreaking and heavy burden upon us,” Maley said.
She called it “a life sentence of sadness and despair.”
- Jury convicts Montana man in fatal drunk driving accident
- Man charged with death by dangerous driving over fatal head-on crash in Adelaide Hills
- Drunk driving cases in Mumbai dip by 35% this Holi
- Hawaii man finds remains of bombs which were dropped on erupting Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 to redirect the lava flow and save the town of Hilo
- Baton Rouge man convicted of Gonzales robbery, gets 10 years
- Man Utd fans love 10-year-old supporter who sent Klopp ‘please lose’ letter before Liverpool lost four out of five games
- Drunk driving mom who killed 5 kids, including her 2 daughters, in crash says she ‘doesn’t deserve to live’
- Heisman Winner Troy Smith Sentenced in Drunk Driving Case Avoids Jail
- Locals fear return of 'Gunchester' as gangland shootings in city hit 10-year high
- Police Seek Public's Help After Gurnee Man Fatally Shot In Kenosha
- Dominique Taylor: Mum who killed five children in drink-drive crash jailed for 18 years
- 10-Year-Old Girl Killed in Car Crash Helped More than 80 People With Organs, and Driver Is Charged
- Indonesia sentences American man to 9 1/3 years for drugs
- Drug dealer who was tested for coronavirus when he collapsed in HMP Bullingdon after being extradited from Thailand is jailed for more than 10 years
- Oregon Man Served Nearly 10 Years in Prison for Murder Conviction that Was Later Overturned
- Cosby in cuffs: TV star gets 3 to 10 years for sex assault
- Man found guilty of raping minor: 10 years imprisonment
- Man gets 10 years imprisonment for raping minor in Pune
- Woman admits careless driving charge after fatal West Coast crash
- Christchurch man jailed after causing crash in stolen car while high on meth
10-year sentence for Hawaii man in fatal drunk driving crash have 499 words, post on apnews.com at June 26, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.