Shiv Sena sources said the EC was likely to announce on Friday that elections for the nine seats would be held by May 18. All ministers must become members of the state legislature within six months of being appointed, which means Thackeray has until May 27 to join the council, but elections had been postponed because of the lockdown. The three parties that comprise the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) – the Shiv Sena, Congress and NCP – had also written to the EC, urging it to hold polls for the nine vacant MLC seats.
On Thursday evening, Minister for
The BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis, leader of the opposition, welcomed Koshyari’s letter to the EC. He wrote on Twitter: “This will prevent Maharashtra from going into instability in the testing times of #CoronaOutbreak and will also uphold the values of our Constitution. It will also uphold the convention that a (MLC) member nominated by Hon
While showing his support for the move, Fadnavis also tweeted: “This also underlines that in a democratic system, dialogue is of utmost importance. One can achieve nothing by unwanted criticism on a person holding a constitutional post.” He was referring to Shiv Sena MP and Saamna editor Sanjay Raut. When Koshyari had sought legal advice after the state cabinet recommended that Thackeray be appointed an MLC from the governor’s quota, Raut had tweeted: “Raj Bhavan, governor’s house shouldn’t become center for political conspiracy.
Remember! History doesn’t spare those who behave unconstitutionally.” A senior Shiv Sena cabinet minister said the development showed that there was still a communication channel between the BJP and Shiv Sena. “We have been told that the election schedule can be completed in 18 days. All parties have agreed to get the members elected unopposed, so there will be no need to actually hold any elections.
The developments on Thursday have only happened after
“Uddhavji’s popularity as CM is at an all-time high because of the way he has handled the Covid-19 pandemic. The BJP’s attempts to derail his nomination as an MLC only hurt its own image. The Shiv Sena has emerged stronger from this. Things are moving swiftly after the call with the PM, which shows he is not interested in petty politics and supports the CM,” the minister said.
- Who holds elected officials accountable when it comes to employment?
- Lt Governor asked to stop AFT closure procedures: Puducherry CM
- Delhi Elections 2020: No senior leader, CM face in Bharatiya Janata Party’s first list for Delhi polls
- Delhi Elections 2020: In Dead Of Night, BJP Releases Second Candidate List For Polls, Fields Sunil Yadav Against CM Kejriwal
- Delhi Assembly Election 2020: If Kejriwal had gone to Jamia or JNU, BJP would have incited violence and blamed AAP, says Sanjay Singh
- Gov. John Bel Edwards cozies up to Trump, preaches bipartisanship on re-election campaign
- ‘CM is supreme’: Haryana home minister Anil Vij after being stripped of CID dept
- 'I thought a woman could win. He disagreed': Elizabeth Warren doubles down on feud with Bernie Sanders and confirms he told her a female candidate COULDN'T win
- 'Give Us Delhi Police For 2 Days, We Will Hang Nirbhaya Convicts': Dy CM Manish Sisodia
- Punjab CM Dares SAD to Quit NDA Alliance at Centre After it Decides Not to Contest in Delhi
- Mitt Romney, Mia Love and marijuana headline Utah election
- Punjab CM dares Akalis to quit NDA alliance; SAD hits back
- 20 roadshows, 8 town halls: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal to switch gears
- 'Who's The CM Candidate?': AAP Corners BJP on Its First List of Delhi Assembly Elections
- Why we need Governors
- Poll: Sanders holds 5-point lead over Buttigieg in New Hampshire
- Who Will Win Georgia’s Insane GOP Gubernatorial Runoff?
- The Ghosts of the ’68 Election Still Haunt Our Politics
- Visit of Chief Secretary fails to pacify Governor
- Reply in 2 weeks says SC after it refuses to stay electoral bonds for Delhi Elections
Win for CM as governor asks EC to hold elections have 831 words, post on mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com at May 1, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.