UNITED NATIONS, United States — World leaders on Thursday called for resilience and cooperation after the pandemic recedes, during a UN videoconference in which the US, China and Russia did not participate. About 50 leaders took part in the event on development financing, with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte saying in a recorded message that the goal must be to “leave no one behind.” South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said “we need to be innovative, think outside the box,” echoing Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Canada and Jamaica organised the conference. Sustainable development goals for 2030 “are more crucial than ever,” said European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen. “We have to work and fight together.” Several leaders, such as German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron, said the crisis could be an opportunity to grow a ”more resilient” economy to aid the fight against global warming. Deploring a “deep questioning of multilateralism,” Macron stressed ”cooperation is essential” as well as “support for the most fragile countries,” especially in Africa. Mauritania President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani called for the “systematic and immediate cancellation of debt.” UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres asked leaders to “go further” than they already have on debt relief for vulnerable countries, in a spirit of ”needs-based solidarity and transparency.” Guterres… Read full this story
- G7 in Japan: concern over world leaders' tour of nationalistic shrine
- Twitter says world leaders are not above its policies "entirely"
- ISIS reveals guide to killing world leaders - giving three ways for would-be jihadists to execute 'leaders, officials and military commanders'
- World leaders react to the Notre Dame Cathedral fire: 'My heart aches'
- With Talks of Impeaching Donald Trump, Which World Leaders Have Been Kicked Out of Office?
- Daesh Releases Guide for Lone Wolves on Assassinating World Leaders After Baghdadi's Death – Report
- Venezuela: Maduro hails election win but world leaders threaten sanctions
- A brief history of world leaders' on-mic gaffes
- NSA bugging turns spotlight on world leaders' 'safe' communications
- Ivanka Trump Sat in for Her Father Among World Leaders at G20
Some 50 world leaders call for post-pandemic cooperation have 351 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 29, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.