Equity benchmark Sensex ended 199 points higher on Friday, propelled by strong gains in index-heavyweight Reliance Industries and positive cues from global markets.
After rallying 645.13 points during the day, the 30-share index surrendered most gains to settle 199.32 points or 0.63 per cent higher at 31,642.70.
Similarly, NSE Nifty rose 52.45 points, or 0.57 per cent, to finish at 9,251.50.
Hindustan Unilever was the top gainer in the Sensex pack, rallying over 4 per cent, followed by Nestle India, Tech Mahindra and Sun Pharma.
Reliance Industries was the biggest contributor to the gains on the index, jumping over 3 per cent after the company announced that US-based private equity firm Vista Equity Partners will buy 2.32 per cent stake in Jio Platforms for Rs 11,367 crore.
On the other hand, NTPC, M&M, Axis Bank and IndusInd Bank were among the laggards.
According to traders, besides stock-specific action, firm cues from global markets and strong foreign fund inflows enthused buying activity in the domestic market.
Foreign portfolio investors purchased equities worth a net Rs 19,056.49 crore in the capital market in the previous session, provisional exchange data showed.
Bourses in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Seoul ended with substantial gains as moves to ease lockdown measures and reopen economies around the world fuelled positive investor sentiment.
Top stock exchanges in Europe were also trading on a positive note in their opening sessions.
Globally, the number of cases linked to the disease has crossed 38.46 lakh and the death toll has topped 2.69 lakh.
In India, the death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 1,886 and the number of cases climbed to 56,342, according to the health ministry.
Meanwhile, international oil benchmark Brent crude futures climbed 1.73 per cent to USD 29.97 per barrel.On the currency front, the rupee appreciated 18 paise to provisionally settle at 75.54 against the US dollar.
- Sensex ends 273 points higher; telecom stocks rally
- Sensex ends 95 points lower; banking and financials drag
- Sensex ends 185 points higher; Nifty tops 11,500
- Sensex jumps 540 points to 40,010 in opening session, Nifty soars to 11,770
- Indian Bourses Up in Opening Trading, Sensex Surges 432 Points
- Sensex rises 500 points, banking and financials lead rally; Nifty above 11,770
- Sensex losses 700 points, Nifty below 9,800
- Sensex tanks 626 points, Nifty slides below 11,400
- Sensex tanks 634 points; Nifty cracks below 11,350
- Sensex drops 184 points in early trade; Nifty tests 11,300
- Airtel, HUL, RIL lift Sensex by 273 points
- Sensex plunges 634 points; Nifty cracks below 11,350
- Sensex rises over 200 pts in early trade; Nifty above 11,600 level
- Indian Stocks Up, Sensex Gains over 400 Points On Reliance's $3.29 Bln Retail Deal
- Sensex, Nifty end 6-day winning run ahead of GDP data
- Sensex to touch 41,500 points by March 2021
- Sensex drops more than 800 points today; 4 reasons why
- Sensex, Nifty fall after violent faceoff on border with China
- After The Bell: Sensex, Nifty rise for the fifth day; what should investors do on Friday?
- Supreme Court’s AGR ruling | All’s well that ends well
Sensex ends at 199 points; Reliance Industries rallies over 3 percent have 454 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at May 8, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.