A Mumbai lawyer moved the Supreme Court on Tuesday highlighting the inaction shown by the Central and State governments in providing safe travel to migrant workers amid the lockdown.
Advocate Sagheer Ahmed Khan, who originally hails from Uttar Pradesh, said his “attempts to contact the nodal officer appointed by Uttar Pradesh to ensure safe return of migrants from Maharashtra have failed.”
Mr. Khan, represented by advocate Ejaz Maqbool, has offered ₹25 lakh from his savings to fund their travel costs to his native districts Basti and Sant Kabir Nagar in Uttar Pradesh.
The lawyer explained that he too had come to Mumbai as a migrant to earn a livelihood. He had suffered several years of hardship, living with other migrants in a furniture shop, before establishing a law practice. He said it was now his turn to pay back for his good fortune.
- Joe Biden will lead memorial for the COVID dead on eve of his inauguration then go to church before being sworn as he tries to take spotlight off Trump
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray flags off state-wide vaccination drive, says " This is a revolutionary step"
- Can Congress' Kodak moment give the party the momentum it needs in Mumbai?
- COVID-19 vaccination drive a revolutionary step: Uddhav
- V-Day: Healthcare workers get first jabs amid cheers
- BMC suspends vaccination drive as CoWIN app malfunctions
- With two Made-in-India vaccines, COVID-19 vaccination drive successfully conducted on Day 1, nearly 2 lakh get shots
- COVID-19 vaccination drive: SII produced Covishield dispatch likely to be early morning tomorrow
- India expressing its gratitude to frontline workers: PM Modi says vaccine roll-out
- Mumbai COVID-19 tracker: With 571 new cases, Mumbai's total tally reaches 3,02,223
- A 72-day marriage, a Las Vegas wedding aged 19, a sex tape and a failed engagement: A look back at Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's past rollercoaster romances
- Final preparations underway for nationwide rollout of COVID-19 vaccination drive today
- COVID-19 Highlights January 19: Mumbai sees surge in recoveries; Maharashtra has less than 50,000 active cases
- Vaccination drive hailed as decisive moment in fight against COVID-19
- Britain records its deadliest day of the Covid pandemic for second day in a row with 1,820 more victims - but the outbreak continues to shrink with 38,905 new infections
- President Joe Biden watches inauguration fireworks from Truman Balcony with Jill and the family after Lincoln Memorial speech urging Americans to 'meet the moment' and 'unify'
- Trump's COVID legacy: America's death toll passes 400,000 on President's final day of office - and almost one year to the day since first case was detected in Seattle
- Vaccination drive gains pace despite portal malfunction
- Heathrow says it is 'impossible' for passengers to be socially-distanced as travellers returning to the UK blast hour-long queues on another day of chaos after negative Covid test rule was enforced
- U.S. vaccine strategy needs to hit reset': Ex-FDA director slams Operation Warp Speed as 27,000 COVID patients die in first 10 days of 2021 and daily death toll tops 3K while states THROW OUT unused shots
Memories of his early days in Mumbai drive lawyer to fight for migrant workers have 474 words, post on www.thehindu.com at May 13, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.