MANCHESTER UNITED and Chelsea have been warned their transfer target Andre Onana will not come cheap by Ajax chief Edwin van der Sar.
The Dutchman says there will be no cut prices for Ajax aces in the summer transfer window despite the financial impact of the coronavirus crisis.
Onana has been in scintillating form between the sticks since swapping La Masia for Amsterdam back in 2015.
He has won an Eredivisie title, as well as enjoying KNVB Cup success and was pivotal in the Dutch side’s run to the Champions League semi-finals, and now it seems he is ready to take the next step.
But former Dutch ace Van der Sar has warned the starlet’s potential suitors that Ajax won’t be bullied into a discounted price in the coming transfer window.
He told Reuters: “In January last year, people said we were going to lose seven or eight players but we lost only two key members
“The big clubs such as Bayern Munich have said the benchmark fee will go down in the next few transfer windows. But it’s easier for them to say because they are the buyers.
“Last year, we made verbal agreements with Onana, Tagliafico, Van de Beek to stay another season and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers. Nothing has changed.
“There won’t be a 50 per cent discount. The clubs can forget about that.”
Chelsea were said to be lining up a £25million move for Onana to replace club-record signing Kepa Arrizabalaga this summer following his poor run of form.
The Blues face competition from United for the Cameroonian stopper who is under contract at Ajax until June 2022 after penning a new deal himself in March.
And are said to have regained interest as David De Gea’s position at Old Trafford has come under threat for the first time ever after a series of blunders.
Of course there are other clubs interested in the Cameroonian keeper, most notably Spanish giants Barcelona, as well as Tottenham and PSG.
The 24-year-old progressed for the youth ranks with the Spanish side after he joined them at just 10 years old.
most read in football
VAR VAR VOOM
Prem given green light to implement five subs and SCRAP VAR if season restarts
Carragher warned after joking Utd’s success came from Sir Alex ‘bullying’ refs
WALKER THE PLANK
Kyle Walker faces cop quiz after breaking lockdown THREE times in 24 hours
Zidane ‘stunned’ by Hazard’s physique after surgery and vow ‘not to eat buns’
THAT’S MAUR LIKE IT
Arsenal ‘offered PSG striker Icardi in swap deal for Aubameyang’
SHOCK PREM RAIDS
Thieves raid homes of Frank Lampard and Leicester’s late owner Vichai
Ajax star, Donny van de Beek, 23, has been on the Red Devils’ radar for the last year after making a name for himself during the Dutch side’s run to the Champions League semi-finals.
But according to Le10 Sport in France, the Magpies are showing interest in the midfielder and could make a bid this summer.
The Dutch star is thought to be valued at around £44million – and would be affordable for the Toon amid their £300m Saudi backed takeover.
- David Beckham gets Inter Miami tips from Ajax CEO and Man Utd legend Van der Sar with Gary and Phil Neville
- Bitter feud between Man Utd legends Ferguson and Keane erupted over Portugal holiday and ‘frightening’ MUTV interview
- Man Utd reporter notebook: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first year as manager
- Nemanja Matic: Atletico Madrid target Man Utd midfielder
- Paul Pogba struck down by illness after his brother’s wedding as Man Utd star suffers further setback following injury
- Saturday's Manchester United transfer rumours: Paul Pogba, Ivan Perisic and Benjamin Pavard
- Kompany was Man City’s ‘Captain, Leader, Legend’ and will be up to Anderlecht job
- From Pogba and Aubameyang to Joao Felix and Tielemans: Each Premier League club’s most expensive transfer and who could become their new record signing this summer
- Chelsea injury blow as Mason Mount hobbles off with another ankle injury against Ajax
- Erling Haaland: Striker flies to Manchester amid United interest
- Erling Haaland: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer plays down reports striker is in Manchester amid United interest
- Ashley Cole: How to dress like the England legend without maxing out your overdraft
- Most intelligent footballers: Tomori is studying business management, while Lukaku is multi-lingual
- World's 100 greatest footballers: Nos 100-71
Man Utd and Chelsea warned transfer target Andre Onana will not come cheap by Ajax chief Edwin van der Sar have 788 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 8, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.