India's Election Commission has allowed biennial polls for nine seats of the legislative council in Maharashtra, even as the country is currently under lockdown, which according to present plans will be lifted on 4 May.
The Election Commission announced the schedule on Friday. The poll process will be set in motion on 4 May, with the issue of notification, voting will be held on 21 May and the result will be announced on the same day, said a notification by the commission.
Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari has also written to the Election Commission to hold elections. "Governor, Maharashtra has also mentioned that Shri Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray was sown in as the Chief Minister on 28 November, 2019 and pointed out that as per constitutional provision, he has to become a member of either the Legislative Assembly or Legislative Council within a period of six months, i.e., on or before 27 May, 2020", reads the notification.
Thackeray, chief of the regional nationalistic Shiv Sena Party, heads a coalition government with the support of India's main opposition Congress Party and another regional faction – the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
The state government has also assured the commission of "various measures taken to control [the] pandemic" and it has committed to ensure elections in "total hygienic conditions with social distancing measures and other conditions imposed by the competent authorities".
Maharashtra has the highest caseload of COVID-19 in the country with 10,498 cases, out of which 1,773 patients have been cured and discharged from hospital, while 459 people have lost their lives to the viral infection, according to data released on Friday by the federal Health Ministry.
- Karnataka: Voting begins for four legislative council seats
- Ten BJP, 2 SP candidates set to get elected unopposed to Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council
- DMK alliance to sweep Tamil Nadu elections: C-Voter opinion poll
- Savarkar's portrait in Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council picture gallery sparks row
- Have zero-tolerance to money and muscle power: Election body chief
- Portugal's president wins new term amid COVID surge
- Hike in fuel prices due to lower production amid COVID-19, says Dharmendra Pradhan
- BJP releases list of 6 more candidates for UP MLC elections; names Shahnawaz Hussain its MLC candidate from Bihar
- Meet Maharashtra's richest politician ever!
- Maharashtra alliance, opposition BJP claim win in Gram Panchayat polls
- Modi's trusted ex-IAS officer gets BJP's ticket for UP MLC polls
- More than 2m people could use postal votes in Scotland elections
- West Bengal Election 2021: Take a pledge for fair polls says Dhankar
- Supreme Court refuses to entertain PIL for free, fair assembly polls in West Bengal
- Jogger is stopped by Covid marshal for 'breathing heavily' on run as police say exercise rules need to be TIGHTENED
- Maharashtra halts Covid-19 vaccination drive till Monday due to Co-Win app glitches
- TN Elections 2021: Stalin incompetent to lead says CM
- Andhra local body polls: Supreme Court dismisses govt plea against SEC decision
- Make May elections in England more Covid-safe, Labour urges
- Covid-19 vaccination Day 1: 1 ‘severe’, 51 ‘minor’ cases of adverse events reported in Delhi
India’s National Election Body Allows Biennial Polls for Maharashtra Legislative Council Amid COVID have 483 words, post on sputniknews.com at May 1, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.