Glenmark Pharmaceuticals is the first company in the country to initiate Phase 3 clinical trials on Favipiravir for COVID-19 patients in India, it said in a statement.
Clinical trials have commenced and over ten leading government and private hospitals are being enrolled for the study, it added.
Glenmark estimates study completion by July/August 2020, it said.
As per the approved clinical trial protocol, 150 subjects with mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms will be randomised in the study in a 1:1 ratio to Favipiravir with standard supportive care or standalone standard supportive care.
Treatment duration is a maximum of 14 days and the total study duration will be a maximum of 28 days from randomisation.
“Several health and medical experts, both in and outside of Glenmark are eager to see the effect that Favipiravir has on COVID-19 cases. We believe the study results will be significant as there is currently no effective treatment for the virus,” Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Vice President & Head Clinical Development, Global Specialty/Branded Portfolio Monika Tandon said.
The data we get from these trials will point us in a clearer direction with regard to COVID-19 treatment and management, she added.
The company said it aims to launch a treatment for COVID-19 patients as soon as possible and control the spread of the pandemic.
Favipiravir, which is a generic version of Japan-based Fujifilm Toyama Chemical’s Avigan, has demonstrated activity against influenza viruses and has been approved in Japan for the treatment of novel influenza virus infections.
- NBA Star Power Index: LeBron's Western Conference reality check; Steph Curry, Kawhi Leonard, Giannis in MVP form
- Sickening, gruelling or frightful: how doctors measure pain
- In Greece, a life-transforming thyroid pill costs just £1 a month, but in Britain it’s £204 - so how can firms justify the drug daylight robbery?
- France vs Peru: Live blog, text commentary, line-ups, stream & TV channel
- Crusaders win title number nine after proving too strong for Lions in Super Rugby final
- Six talking points from A-League Round 1
- 2017 Volkswagen Golf R (US‑Spec)
- 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI (US‑Spec)
Glenmark initiates Phase 3 clinical trials on Favipiravir to check efficacy on COVID-19 patients have 388 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at May 12, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.