“Unfortunately, this pandemic is being used for political purposes. The entire group of parties that support Anez, and her Juntos alliance, use the armed forces to distribute material assistance across rural areas and conduct an [electoral] campaign,” Morales said.
According to the former leader, instead of expanding new hospitals and equipping wards, the current government has closed seven hospitals, while 20 new ones, which were almost ready during Morales's presidency, are still not equipped. He noted that though material assistance was important, it was not enough to fight the pandemic.
“Worst of all is what is happening in Trinidad [a city in northeastern Beni department], as there are no tests, they said that there are no infected people in the department … But as they tell me … almost 60 percent of health care workers are infected but not treated in hospitals. Families fight the virus using conventional medicine,” Morales added.
The ex-president added that though the general elections were postponed to August due to the current epidemiological situation, people asked to hold them in May.
So far, Bolivia has registered more than 1,600 cases of the disease with the death toll standing at 82.
- Sorry is hardest word for US presidents to say for war
- Bolivia announces expulsion of USAID
- Nelson Mandela, former South African president, dies
- Ukraine's ex-leaders back anti-Yanukovych protests
- Former French president Chirac convicted of graft
- Military never stays out of politics: Major General
- President Ho Chi Minh's birthday celebrated
- APEC 2017: Vietnamese, Russian Presidents hold meeting
- Philippine Muslim rebel leader says last chance for peace
- Morales claims victory in Bolivian recall referendum
- Venezuela received Snowden asylum request: president
- President Sang addresses the nation
- President Ho Chi Minh’s moral example – major theme of int’l research
- Macron wins French presidency, to sighs of relief in Europe
- May 18 – 24: Exhibition “Study and Follow Ho Chi Minh’s Moral example” in Hanoi
- China's actions illegal, defy morality: President
- Indonesian president Widodo gets rock star welcome at inauguration
- Prosecutors quiz woman at core of S. Korea political crisis
- Ukraine leader says he is "ready" for peace deal with Russia
- "No leniency" for violence, warns Egypt's President Sisi
Ex-President Morales Says COVID-19 Pandemic Used in Bolivia for Political Purposes have 342 words, post on sputniknews.com at May 5, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.