Yesterday McDonald’s opened 39 of their branches across the UK for the first time since the coronavirus lockdown came into place.
The footage shows a tailback from McDonald’s entrance all the way back down the main road forcing all traffic to a standstill, The Sun reports.
The man recording the shocking video comments on the traffic jam and says “two hours for some nuggets?”
Yesterday McDonald’s released a statement claiming that branches would shut if the queues were too long.
A spokesman said: “We expect a high demand across all locations. We are working closely with local authorities and we may determine it is necessary to close our drive-thru lane if queues can cause disruption or put our employees or customers at risk.”
But there seems to be no sign of branches closing despite the queues causing serious disruption to traffic.
Of the 39 sites reopened across the UK, the majority are mainly located in South East England.
The fast-food chain has also reopened six of its restaurants in Dublin as drive-thrus.
Police have been called to branches across the UK to ease crowd control.
Police were called to the Boongate store in Peterborough after huge numbers of customers rushed to the shop when it re-opened at 11am yesterday morning.
Staff at all branches will be temperature checked before each shift and workers will have to make sure they are social distancing.
Perspex screens are installed at all drive-through windows and staff will be given protective equipment, the firm said.
McDonald’s has called for customers to be “patient and supportive” of staff as sites reopen, warning that service “will not be as quick as you might be used to”.
Bosses hope to reopen all drive-thru operations over the next month after they shut in late March during the coronavirus lockdown.
McDonalds UK told the Sun Online: “With restaurant teams adjusting to new procedures to enable safe working and social distancing, things may take a little longer in our newly opened restaurants, and demand has already been very high.
“As part of our reopening plans we have worked with police and local authorities, and are continuing to do so to understand any action we need to take.”
This article originally appeared on The Sun and has been republished with permission.
- Last minute Christmas shopping 'like war zone' with queues, fights and empty shelves
- Diner-saur! Bizarre moment a Tyrannosaurus Rex queues up for a meal at a McDonald's drive-thru
- Hilarious moment nine cars patiently sit in a backed-up McDonald’s drive-thru line on Christmas day not realizing the restaurant is CLOSED
- Chaos at Tesco and Asda as last minute Christmas shoppers flood aisles leaving some customers in tears
- Kanye West fans queue for limited edition trainers
- Zapped! Britain to be hit by 50,000 lightning strikes and flash floods - but down south it's still so hot the tarmac is melting people's sandals
- The father who went undercover to find his son’s killers
- Curse of the Harry Potter home that just won’t sell as desperate owners slash cost of six-bedroom property to £950k
- Prince Harry says he wants ‘two kids, maximum’ in planet-saving chat for Meghan Markle’s Vogue
- West Ham star Michail Antonio ‘smashed £210k Lamborghini into house after his snowman costume fell over his eyes’
- Richard Billingham: ‘I just hated growing up in that tower block’
- Woman seriously hurt after being ‘abducted from home by three men’ on Christmas Day
- Cops swarm outside Manchester’s Arndale shopping centre after boy, 16, stabbed multiple times
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson 'predicted her own death' as its revealed she was £200,000 in debt after her women’s fashion line racked up huge overheads
- SECOND cinema chain bans gang film Blue Story after 100-strong machete brawl broke out in front of terrified families queuing for Frozen 2 - but director defends BBC-funded movie as 'about love not violence'
- Fast cars, exotic holidays and a 24 karat gold iPhone: Meet Britain's RICHEST YouTubers and how they flaunt their jet-setting high-life on screen
- Doubts about Amazon's future overshadow Fire Phone launch
- Greggs beefs up its vegan range with launch of meat-free steak bake
Coronavirus lockdown: Crazy scenes as McDonald’s customers queue for drive through in the UK have 745 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 22, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.