A new study by Alan Basist, director of Eyes on Earth, Inc., and Claude Williams from Global Environmental Satellite Applications, Inc. is drawing serious attention for its firm conclusion: the severe lack of water in the Lower Mekong during the 2019 rainy season was largely influenced by the restriction of water by dams on the Lancang River, as the Mekong is known in China. Using satellite data from 1992 to 2019 and the river gauge at Chiang Sean, Thailand, the researchers developed a model to better understand the operation of dams in China, data which the country has never willingly disclosed. Tuoi Tre News interviewed Basist, the study’s lead author, and Brian Eyler, director of Stimson’s Southeast Asia program, about the implications of the findings. Can you tell us about the start of your research? Alan Basist: We came up with the idea of doing a research project on monitoring the amount of water that comes out of the upper basin using the Chiang Sean gate station at the Thailand entrance of the Golden Triangle. Our model was extremely accurate and it became evident that the satellite was beginning to predict a natural flow in 2019 that was fairly normal or slightly… Read full this story
- Experts say water release from Chinese dams too little to reach Vietnam
- Mekong Delta provinces get $170,000 for saline intrusion control
- Saltwater intrusion affects Mekong Delta’s fruit cultivation
- Mekong Delta faces difficulties due to drought, saline intrusion, Covid-19
- Mekong Delta provinces increase production after saltwater intrusion, drought
- Mekong Delta fruit cultivation hit by saltwater intrusion
- Ministry to allocate VND4bn to fight drought in the Mekong Delta
- Should water be transferred from east to west to save the Mekong Delta?
- Mekong Delta to proactively carry out anti-drought, saline intrusion measures
- Mekong Delta provinces want to build reservoirs to store freshwater
Chinese dams withhold water, worsen 2019 drought in Mekong Delta: researchers have 317 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at May 30, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.