Athletes qualified for Tokyo 2020 will keep 2021 spots, photo AFP Around 57 per cent of the 11,000 scheduled participants for Tokyo had already made sure of taking part when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) pushed the Games back to 2021 on Tuesday due to the coronavirus. The IOC and 32 international sports federations held a teleconference on Thursday where it was decided to respect the qualification process. “Thomas Bach (the IOC President) first explained the reasons for the postponement of the Games, then said that the athletes qualified for Tokyo 2020 would automatically be qualified for 2021,” one of the participants in the conference told AFP. “One of the main subjects was to know when and how to organise the qualifications. “In some federations, many sportsmen and sportswomen are not qualified and it takes at least three months for the Olympic Games to organise them.” The 2020 Tokyo Games were scheduled for Jul 24-Aug 9, but after telephone discussions between Bach and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, a historic joint decision was taken for the first postponement of an Olympics in peacetime However, there is no definite date yet for the rescheduled Games with Bach saying Tuesday the Tokyo… Read full this story
- U.S. athletes qualified for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics: What you need to know
- O'Connor delight as Irish grasp Tokyo 2020 place
- Five new sports set to feature at at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic medals made from recycled electronic devices
- Vietnam’s 19-y-o swimmer qualified for Tokyo 2020
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics: How ready is host city with one year to go?
- Tokyo 2020 medals unvieled one year before Olympic Games
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics amass more than $3 billion in sponsorship
- Sapporo move confirmed for marathon and race walk at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Athletes qualified for Tokyo 2020 will keep 2021 spots have 292 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at May 28, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.