(Reuters) – This year’s Ryder Cup should not be held if fans are unable to attend the event due to the coronavirus pandemic, Team Europe captain Padraig Harrington said on Wednesday.
The golf calendar has been ravaged by the outbreak, with three of the sport’s four majors — The Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship — being postponed, while the British Open was cancelled. [nL8N2BU5HU]
The Ryder Cup is scheduled to take place from September 25-27 at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin, a week after the re-scheduled U.S. Open, and Harrington believes the absence of fans will ruin the spectacle of the biennial match play event.
“Nobody wants to see the Ryder Cup played without the fans being there,” Harrington told BBC Radio.
“There’s no doubt that it makes the tournament so much better. I think the common consensus now is the Ryder Cup will not be played unless the fans are there.
“Non-golfers and golfers around the world watch the Ryder Cup because of the tension that’s created by the spectators.”
Harrington said he held discussions with Ryder Cup organisers regarding the possibility of postponing the event but continues to plan for it to go ahead as scheduled.
“There are bigger things too than the Ryder Cup. It’s a big deal in golf but we have to see the bigger picture,” the three-times major winner added.
“I hope that we get our chance to play. I think it’s something that can bring people together and is something to look forward to and enjoy.”
Holders Team Europe beat Team USA 17.5-10.5 in 2018.
Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar
- Golfer Colin Montgomerie's Zodiac Signs, Personality and Astrology Birth Chart As Ryder Cup Captain
- The Ryder Cup Captures Fans' Interest
- Dumbass American Has The Stupidest Ideas On How To "Fix" The Champions League
- NHL Power Rankings: 1-31 poll, plus what every team's slogan should be
- "Go Home You Fraud" - Fans Boo Beckham
- Which Golf Tournament is the Most Celebrated?
- Tiger's back again ... but is he really ready?
- Watch Out For Hidden Handicaps
- The World's Other Football on Satellite TV
- New talks put American takeover of Ladies European Tour back on track
- The Golf Secrets the Golf Equipment Industry Does Not Want You to Hear
- Amar Chitra Katha and Asterix comics make it to Nikhil Ranjan's guilty, reading pleasures
- Dani Alves: 'If you win without effort, you triumph with no glory at all'
- Splicing footage of Kim Jong-il over Matt Le Tissier's YouTube best bits
- Thor 4: Love and Thunder: Natalie Portman is Mighty Thor, D23 details, release date and more
- Who Will Develop The First Great American Soccer Star?
- Thor 4: Love and Thunder: Korg returns, Natalie Portman is Thor, release date and more
- BCCI does a rewind on Anil Kumble's 49th b'day; Sehwag's post for his role model wins hearts
- Anil Kumble turns 49: BCCI does a rewind, cricket stars tweet b'day greetings for their 'role model'
- ‘You have made Bangla proud’: Mamata Banerjee lauds Ganguly, Twitter erupts in joy, Dada memes at BCCI post
Team Europe captain Harrington shoots down idea of Ryder Cup without fans have 535 words, post on www.reuters.com at April 8, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.