While Garena has constantly recorded high profits for years, Shopee has been submerged in tremendous losses SEA Group’s latest financial report showed a large gap in earnings between its e-commerce and game businesses. While Garena has been constantly recording high profits for years, Shopee has been submerged in tremendous losses. In 2019, Shopee’s gross merchandise value rose 71 per cent to $17.6 billion. Its adjusted revenue increased by 224 per cent to $942 million. However, its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortisation (EBITDA) index showed negative growth. The gross profit margin reflected that Shopee has been offering tremendous discounts to gain market share and accelerate turnover. Meanwhile, the game business Garena has showed an impressive growth. Last year, Garena reported $1.8 billion in revenue and $1 billion in pre-tax profit, equivalent to the EBITDA of 40 per cent. According to Tech In Asia, even if Shopee reports profit, its gross margin will be tiny compared to Garena’s. In other words, Shopee is burning money earned by Garena. Specifically, the e-commerce platform splurged $765 million out on sales and marketing to get $942 million in revenue and lose $1 billion last year. Garena’s sales and marketing expenses were $109 million but the turnover… Read full this story
- Edge of despair: Couple must abandon home of 12 years BEFORE Christmas over fears it will fall into sea - after 'cataclysmic' cliff erosion left them 30ft from disaster
- Team finds world's oldest intact shipwreck in Black Sea
- As more Turkish troops killed, Ankara says it will not stop Syrian refugees reaching Europe
- Not-so CALM before the storm: Huge waves smash sea wall and flood fields as blizzard-hit Britain faces more snow and ice... ahead of 72-hour deluge when new tempest 'Dennis the Menace' strikes at weekend
- Manchester City v Sunderland: Capital One Cup final – as it happened!
- Victorian town of Sea Lake transformed from 'ghost town' to international tourism hotspot
- Turkey says will not stop Syrian refugees reaching Europe after troops killed
- US groups getting busy in the ASEAN
- Vodafone Idea may borrow from Oaktree Capital against its Indus Towers stake
- Remains of a Huge, Mysterious Sea Creature Wash Up on Alaska Beach (PHOTO)
Should SEA Group stop pouring capital in Shopee? have 365 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at April 8, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.