International PFA chief Taylor slams UK government for singling out footballers The Saigon Times Friday, Apr 10, 2020,12:50 (GMT+7) PFA chief Taylor slams UK government for singling out footballersThe Saigon Times PFA Chairman Gordon Taylor – PHOTO: REUTERS LONDON (REUTERS) – Premier League footballers were unfairly asked by the British government to take a paycut during the coronavirus outbreak when hedge-fund managers and bankers were not subjected to similar demands, players’ union chief Gordon Taylor has said. Britain’s Health Minister Matt Hancock sparked a debate last week when he said Premier League players must “play their part” and take a pay cut while the league was suspended so that the clubs’ non-playing staff are not furloughed. Taylor, head of the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), defended the players and accused the government of unfairly singling out footballers when other well-paid professions escaped their scrutiny. “I find it quite extraordinary that government doesn’t realise – and it should do because of what the game puts back into the economy – the money that football spends on its community initiatives, the tax it pays,” Taylor said on beIN SPORTS’ Keys & Gray Show. “And just to highlight footballers when there are many other sportsmen, bankers, hedge funds… Read full this story
- When will a coronavirus vaccine be available in UK and how is it being trialled?
- Newsreader Simon McCoy slams BBC colleague Gary Lineker for 'abusing his position' and breaking impartiality after Match of the Day host accused Boris Johnson of lying
- Scientists, JK Rowling pan UK PM for defending aide who broke lockdown rules
- The 100 greatest UK No 1s: No 10, Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through the Grapevine
- Warning as UK coronavirus outbreak leads to sharp rise in deaths at home
- Coronavirus: Cummings row 'undermines trust in government and more people will die' - scientist
- UK daily coronavirus death toll surpasses 900 for first time
- Coronavirus: 'Strategically important' companies could receive government bailouts
- Lorraine slams ‘arrogant’ Dominic Cummings as she says ‘can the 14,000 Brits fined for breaking lockdown appeal?’
- Delhi reports sharp single-day rise of 635 Covid-19 cases, tally crosses 14,000
PFA chief Taylor slams UK government for singling out footballers have 355 words, post on english.thesaigontimes.vn at April 10, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.