The XFL is the latest sports league to succumb to the fallout from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Having formally shut down its operations for 2020 and beyond, and filing for bankruptcy immediately thereafter, it’s the second time the XFL has been unsuccessful in delivering a second season — albeit for vastly different reasons. The 2020 iteration was a much more polished product than the failure of 2001, and several players used the platform to catapult their name onto the radar of NFL teams, such as quarterbacks P.J. Walker (Carolina Panthers) and Jordan Ta’amu (Kansas City Chiefs); and you can now add tight end Donald Parham to the list of latest grabs.
Parham, a breakout star for the Dallas Renegades, is reportedly signing with the Los Angeles Chargers, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, choosing them over at least five other teams that put an offer in front of him. The 22-year-old is an intriguing talent with a lengthy build, catching the Chargers’ eye after reeling in 307 receiving yards and four touchdowns in only five games. His 101-yard, two touchdown outing against the Seattle Dragons in Week 3 truly told the tale of what Parham might be if given another chance in the NFL, but it won’t be his first.
A former standout at Stetson University, Parham initially joined the NFL as an undrafted free agent of the Detroit Lions in 2019, but was waived two weeks later before getting a chance to ever take the practice field. He was signed in June by the Washington Redskins, waived in final roster cuts and re-signed to the team’s practice squad, but waived again in early September. Battling for another chance at the pro level, he became a ninth-round pick of the Renegades, but ultimately one of their best offensive weapons.
With the Chargers having franchise tagged Hunter Henry for 2020, Parham has a chance to add key depth to a TE rotation in Los Angeles that desperately needs it.
For while Henry delivered 652 receiving yards and five touchdowns in 12 games last season, the next closest producer at the position was Virgil Green, a 31-year-old veteran who mustered only 78 yards and a touchdown in 15 games. That said, it’s a no-brainer they’d give Parham a shot.
- Ex-Panthers defensive tackle Star Lotulelei to sign five-year deal with Bills: source
- Buffalo Bills signing receivers John Brown and Cole Beasley, sources say
- NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where all 32 teams stand in the middle of a chaotic offseason
- One player from all 32 NFL teams who can break out and dominate this season
- L.A. Rams get more D at NFL trade deadline
- Eleven NFL players who could be headed for bigger things
- NFL’s highest-paid player is a temporary title
- NFL quarterbacks in the news: Brees stays with Saints, Keenum off to Denver
- Khalil Mack signs game-changing $141 million contract hours after being traded to the Chicago Bears
- Le’Veon Bells dramatic holdout is unlike anything the NFL has ever seen, and it could end up being a win for him
- NFL storylines to watch this off-season
- NFL roughing-the-passer crackdown called out by James Harrison
- Le’Veon Bell at crossroads after missing NFL deadline
- Lowering the boom on era of NFL nicknames
- A deep free-agent pool, Canada’s Cup quest among NHL storylines for 2019
- Former CFL head coach Marc Trestman comes full circle with XFL post
- The NFL Can't Stick To Sports And It's All The NFL's Fault
- Jimmy Garoppolo to sign $137 million contract and become the highest-paid player in the NFL after 5 breakout games
- Sam Darnold, Alex Smith impress in Week 2 of NFL pre-season
- Brady, Patriots chase more history as NFL centenary kicks off
2020 NFL free agency: Chargers to sign breakout XFL tight end Donald Parham, per report have 587 words, post on www.cbssports.com at April 14, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.