Viet Nam this year would have opportunities to continue increasing rice exports to Senegal, as well as Africa as a whole, due to high demand from those markets, the Viet Nam Trade Office in Algeria said.
This year, Senegal’s demand for imported rice is forecasted to be high because people are storing more food, including rice, during the serious outbreak of locusts in East Africa – which has destroyed crops – and the novel coronavirus epidemic, it said.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, Africa’s rice demand in 2020 is estimated at 15.7 million tonnes. Of which, Senegal may have to import 1.3 million tonnes, it said.
In 2019, Viet Nam had strong growth in rice exports to Senegal compared to 2018, the trade office said. The exports reached 96,665 tonnes of rice, earning US$32.6 million, up 13 times in volume and 10.2 times in value year on year.
In this market, Vietnamese rice has to compete with rice from India, Pakistan, Thailand, China, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, the US, Malaysia and Cambodia.
It has also noted that according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), Senegal in 2019 imported about 1.5 million tonnes of rice, an increase of 15 per cent compared to 2018 due to low rice supply in the domestic market.
About 90 per cent of rice imports to Senegal are broken rice. Senegalese people prefer broken rice due to its low cost, according to the trade office. — VNS
- Vietnamese rice takes bite out of global market
- Crop production head disproves claim that ‘90% of Vietnamese are eating dirty rice’
- Chinese enterprises have demand for Vietnamese coffee, aquatic products
- Vietnamese enterprises focus on branding amid integration
- Rice export price hits 9-year high
- Rice exports enjoy vigorous growth during eight-month period
- Vietnam's rice export prices hit nine-year high
- Profit taking to weigh on local market, but September may be bright
- Enterprises in HCMC’s market stabilization program increase production of snacks
- Vietnamese students' corny business a hit
- Prices of rice exported to EU increase under EVFTA
- Study looks into protecting minority shareholders in Vietnamese context
- Logistics groups strive to exploit EVFTA potential
- Jacobson Pharma Collaborates with Fosun Pharma Group to Supply Potentially 10 Million Doses of BioNTech SE’s COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in Hong Kong and Macau
- Vietnam aims to diversify local retail market
- Experienced investors still interested in property market: experts
- MoIT aims to diversify local retail market
- Algeria welcomes Vietnamese farm produce
- 9pm Chelsea transfer news LIVE: Kai Havertz switch ‘AGREED’, Rice move ‘if Kante and Jorginho leave’, Mendy UPDATE
- Small wonders: This Vietnamese artist makes tiny food
Senegal a potential market for Vietnamese rice have 419 words, post on bizhub.vn at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.