Hanoi is making efforts to identify people who made contact with the patient who visited Italy’s Lombardy in mid-February.
Chairman Nguyen Duc Chung of the Hanoi People's Committee has called local residents to calm down following the news on the city's first coronavirus infected case which was confirm late Friday.
The city's mayor made the statement at a meeting in Friday evening after Hanoi confirmed the first case and the 17th case in Vietnam tested positive with a new coronavirus.
|Chairman Nguyen Duc Chung of the Hanoi People's Committee. Photo: VNExpress|
"I call for local people to calm down with vigilance of the epidemic," Mr. Chung said, adding that related agencies are looking for people who made contact with the patient to put them in quarantine.
The mayor expressed concerns about Hanoi's high risk of infection as the city is a destination of visitors from nearly 90 countries which are stricken by the epidemic.
"I wish that people are aware of risk of infection and the danger of the epidemic to isolate themselves when returning to the country and inform health agencies to avoid risk of epidemic spreading," Chung emphasized.
At a meeting earlier on Friday, Mr. Chung asked local authorities to check all Hanoi's citizens and students coming back from European countries to the city from February 20 without medical declaration.
Hanoi's first patient is Nguyen Hong Nhung, 26, who went to London, the UK on February 15 and travelled to Italy on February 18 and flew to France after that before flying back to London late February.
She got symptoms of coronavirus infection before returning to Vietnam on March 3. She didn't make medical declaration when arrived in the home country. She went to Hong Ngoc hospital on March 5 and was immediately moved to the National Hospital of Tropical Diseases for quarantine.
After she was tested positive, Hanoi immediately quarantined people who made close contact with her, including a private driver and five housemaids and 17 doctors and nurses at Hong Ngoc hospital.
The authorities have disinfected and blocked a section of Truc Bach street which her house is located.
Meanwhile, the authorities have worked with Vietnam Airlines to identify crewmembers and passengers in a flight from London to Noi Bai International Airport for quarantine and medical supervision. A list of all passengers have been unveiled.
Hanoi's authorities have informed France and the UK of the case for identifying Nhung's footprints there.
- 61 localities close schools amid rising fears of Coronavirus spreading
- Schools nationwide close to prevent coronavirus spread
- Border guards tighten checks to prevent coronavirus spread
- How can the coronavirus spread through bathroom pipes? Experts are investigating in Hong Kong
- Attractions in Hanoi closed amid coronavirus spread
- Artists donate blood to help patients amid coronavirus spread
- Did China's authoritarianism actually help the coronavirus spread?
- China, desperate to stop coronavirus spread, turns neighbor against neighbor
- Bat soup and biological weapons - how strange stories about the coronavirus spread
- Bank teller called police over coronavirus mask, Michigan woman claims
- Royal Caribbean Cancels 8 Cruises Out Of China Over Coronavirus Fears
- Head of WHO: We May Only Be Seeing the ‘Tip of the Iceberg’ of Coronavirus
- NINE people are confirmed to have coronavirus in the US as the second evacuation flight heads to China to bring citizens home as global death toll reaches 305
- Could Japan call off Tokyo Olympics over coronavirus fears?
- Shopping malls, entertainment centers in Hanoi desolate due to epidemic concerns
- Tourism sector seeking to attract domestic travellers amid coronavirus outbreak
- Coronavirus Is Bad. Comparing It to the Flu Is Worse
- China turns to AI, data in fight against coronavirus
- Intel and Vivo latest to cancel MWC plans over coronavirus
- Coronavirus is not yet pandemic — WHO
Hanoi mayor calls on locals to calm down against coronavirus spread have 618 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at March 7, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.