Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.
As New York City and the surrounding area have become the new epicenter for the coronavirus pandemic in America, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he is ordering anyone arriving on a flight from the New York region to submit to self-quarantine for two weeks.
DeSantis said in an address from his Tallahassee office that more than 100 such flights arrive daily in the state and he believes each contains at least one person infected with the new coronavirus.
He said he has been in contact with federal officials about curtailing such flights, but has not yet received a response. He said people will be screened when they arrived and told they must self-quarantine. He said those travelers will not be allowed to stay with family or friends, because that is one way the virus is spread.
He did not say specifically how the self-quarantine would be enforced, but he said “it is actually a criminal offense if you violate the quarantine order.” Florida law says it is a second-degree misdemeanor to violate a quarantine order that could result in a 60-day jail sentence.
DeSantis said people could be “held accountable if they buck the law.”
He said he doesn’t want to cause unnecessary financial hardship or create unintended consequences such as people fleeing the state and spreading the disease.
“In New York [City], when they did the stay-at-home order, what did people do? A lot of people fled the city and they are going to stay with their parents or fly [out],” DeSantis said during a press conference at a retirement community of 80,000 residents north of Orlando. “We are getting huge amounts of people flying in. We are looking at how to address those flights.”
He said he talked to President Trump on Sunday night about that issue.
As of Monday morning, more than 1,100 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Florida and 13 have died.
DeSantis said one of the biggest problems statewide is people who “put themselves first” by refusing to avoid large crowds.
“If you shut down the bar, they go to a house party. You have no beach, so they go to a sandbar, which is technically not the beach. I would say for those folks, you need to cool it. … The more stuff you are doing, the more difficult and longer this may go,” DeSantis said.
The virus causes only minor flu-like symptoms in most people, who recover in a matter of weeks. But it is highly contagious and can cause severe illness or death in some patients, particularly the elderly and those with underlying health problems. Severe cases are often only able to breathe with respirators.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- UK government looks into reducing 14-day quarantine for arrivals
- Connecticut COVID Travel Advisory Now Requires Visitors To Complete Online Health Form, Self-Quarantine
- Mayor De Blasio Says All Travelers From U.K. Must Quarantine, Or Potentially Face $1,000 Fine
- New York City mayor orders all travelers from U.K. to quarantine or face $1,000 fine
- Holiday refund rights as Turkey and Poland join UK's 14-day quarantine list
- New virus strain in U.K.: Maharashtra orders 14-day institutional quarantine for passengers from Europe, Middle East
- Northern Beaches residents flying into Queensland must pay for hotel quarantine from TOMORROW - and anyone already there must self-isolate for 14 days
- De Blasio announces sheriff's deputies will go to homes of UK travelers to NYC, ensure quarantine
- Indian gov't orders surveillance of passengers coming from Britain, new protocols issued
- Boris ‘could cut 14-day self-isolation by HALF for Test and Trace contacts of infected people’ as Brits ignoring rule
- Dutch gov't orders strict lockdown to combat COVID-19
- Tahoe shutdown: Can Bay Area residents travel there?
- NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio Announces Police Checks for UK Travellers, $1,000 Fines for Breaking Quarantine
- US orders ALL passengers arriving from UK to have had negative Covid tests amid spread of Covid super-strain
- Confused about Bay Area travel quarantines? Here’s what we know — and what isn’t clear
- Canada the latest country to halt travel from UK over new Covid-19 variant concerns
- Charts compare coronavirus crisis in each Bay Area county as holidays begin
- Coronavirus: First Arrest in British Isles for Failing to Self-Isolate Reported
- Can I travel to France from the UK? Country opens up its borders to British holidaymakers
- Sydney’s virus cluster surge triggers travel restrictions
Florida Gov. DeSantis orders travelers coming from NYC area to self-quarantine for 14 days have 781 words, post on www.foxnews.com at March 23, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.