World Health Organisation (WHO) has named the new coronavirus, Covid-19.
WHO announced the new name in its tweeter handle at @WHO that “we now have a name for 2019nCov disease.
“The new name is COVID-19.
“The CO stands for corona, the VI for virus and the D for disease.”
The UN health agency wanted a name that do not refer to a geographical location, animals, an individual or a group of people.
WHO is leading a 2-day global research and innovation forum to mobilise international action in response to coronavirus outbreak in Geneva.
China’s National Health Commission said there were 2,478 confirmed new cases in the mainland and 108 additional deaths, most of them in Hubei province.
As of Monday night, the government said a total of 42,638 cases have been confirmed and 1,016 people have died in the country.
The outbreak’s epicentre is in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, affecting 28 countries and territories around the world.
- With 69,239 new coronavirus COVID-19 cases, India's tally crosses 30-lakh mark
- Mozambique Begins Closing Markets for Cleaning and Reorganization to Prevent COVID-19 Outbreak
- Big Pharma’s Covid-19 Profiteers
- Fauci 'Cautiously Optimistic' of COVID-19 Vaccine by 2021 As Clinical Trials Open for Thousands
- COVID-19 Immune Response Fits Into 3 Categories With 'Fundamental Differences'
- Kellyanne Conway Dismisses Russian COVID-19 Vaccine, Says They're 'Nowhere Near Where We Are'
- Day Camps Open In New York, Several Challenges Remain In COVID-19 Era: ‘We Are Still Trying To Bring That Camp Magic’
- Russia produces first batch of Covid-19 vaccine ‘Sputnik V’: Report
- India eyes global front runners in Covid-19 vaccine plan
- Curbs at rallies, booths likely in first Covid-19 polls
- ‘He Paid With His Life’ During COVID-19 Pandemic; San Francisco Woman Delivers Emotional Convention Speech
- Aarogya Setu’s new feature to help businesses function during Covid-19 pandemic: Govt
- Covid Speed Read: India crosses 3 million Covid-19 cases; WHO chief believes Covid may finish in shorter time than Spanish Flu
- China's 'Bat Woman' Calls Claim Country Tried to Steal U.S. COVID-19 Vaccine Data 'Nonsense'
- With 61,408 new COVID-19 cases, India's total tally crosses 31-lakh mark
- Over 100 People Have Died in U.S. While Taking Hydoxychloroquine for COVID-19: Report
- Argentine Province Interested in Producing Russian Vaccine Against COVID-19, Governor Says
- Recovered American COVID-19 patient donates plasma in Vietnam
- What You Need to Know About COVID-19 Testing
- Russia offers to help US with Covid-19 vaccine; US says no
WHO names new coronavirus, Covid-19 have 397 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.