India is still a long while away from complete electrification but it could be argued that the country’s electrification journey has begun in the right earnest. 2020 too will see multiple electric car launches in India and that too across multiple segments. If not for long highway rides, electric cars do make sense for daily commuting at least. Yes, there are challenges with respect to charging infrastructure, availability of electricity and even the source of electricity could be questioned, but the way forward is electric and there is no escaping it. We list down the top electric cars, which will be launched in India this year.
Up next is the Nissan Leaf! Yes! Nissan has confirmed that it will be launching the Leaf in India this year. Fun fact, the Leaf is the highest-selling highway capable electric vehicle in the world and we expect it to be cost 35 to 40 lakh rupees when it arrives. The fact that it is an import pushes the cost up! The Nissan Leaf gets a 40 kilo watt hour battery which can offer a range of up to 400 km on a single charge. Power output stands at 148 bhp and peak torque of 320 Nm. Charging time of the battery is between 8 and 16 hours, depending on power capacity. The car also gets a quick charging feature which can give 80 per cent battery charge in just 40 minutes.
Another luxury carmaker getting into the act of launching an electric car in India is Jaguar Land Rover. It has confirmed that the I-Pace will come to India by the end of 2020. The I-Pace has the pedigree of a champion already. It won an unprecedented treble at the 2019 World Car Awards. It won the world car of the year award along with the world car design award and the green car award as well.
The I-Pace comes with two synchronous permanent magnet electric motors at the front and the rear axle which have a combined power output of 395 bhp and makes maximum of 696 Nm of torque. It also features an AWD system. A 0-100 kmph sprint takes 4.5 seconds and the performance SUV will have a range of over 480 km.
The Audi e-Tron was first showcased in September 2018 at Audi‘s annual Summit in USA and it will be launched in India in the beginning of 2019. It was the first fully electric model from Audi and an SUV at that. We expect the e-Tron to be priced somewhere in the region of ₹ 1.5 crore. The Audi e-Tron SUV gets two electric motors, one on each axle. The one on the front makes 125 kW while the rear motor makes 140 kW, with the combined total of 265 kW or 355 bhp. The peak torque output is 561 Nm. In the boost mode, the power output goes up to 300 kW or 408 bhp. The Audi e-Tron SUV has a range of 400 km on a single charge according to WLTP cycle and can touch a top speed of 200 kmph. Also, the 0-100 kmph sprint is done in 6.6 seconds in the normal mode and 5.7 seconds in the boost mode.
Also Read: Audi e-Tron Makes Its India Debut
Porsche took the wraps off the Taycan in 2019, which is its first ever fully electric model and a sportscar too. Based on the Porsche Mission E concept, the new Porsche Taycan will sport two permanently excited synchronous electric motors that are capable of churning out max power of 600 bhp and will a range of over 500 km thanks to its high voltage lithium-ion batteries. It can go from 0-100 kmph in under 3.5 seconds and Porsche says that the Taycan is not just sporty, but also practical. While we believe Porsche when it says so, all the performance and practicality will come at a very steep price. With Porsche India set to launch the Taycan somewhere in the middle of 2020, we expect it to be priced at well over ₹ 1 crore.
Also Read: Porsche Taycan Electric Sportscar Revealed
- Tata Nexon EV Production Milestone: SUV Occupies Leadership Position In Electric Car Segment
- Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Car Specs Revealed: Here Are All Details
- China’s MG Motor banks on EV portfolio in India
- Solar and wind power generated a TENTH of the world's electricity in the first half of 2020 as coal sees biggest fall since 1990
- Detel Easy Electric Moped Launched In India: Priced At Rs 19,999
- New (2020) Mahindra Thar Unveiled: Here Are All The Details Ahead Of Its India Launch
- Boosted by Suzuki, Toyota plans India blitz with a dozen models
- Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV India Launch Next Year: Here Are All Details
- eMotion Surge Electric Motorcycle Spotted Testing In Coimbatore: Pics & Other Details
- Porsche 718 Spyder & Cayman GT4 Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 1.59 Crore
- Aprilia RS 660 Bookings Open From October: Expected To Launch In India Next Year
- Force Gurkha BS6 Arrives At Dealerships: India Launch Expected Soon
- Toyota Urban Cruiser India Launch On August 22: Open For Pre-Bookings
- Etrio Launches India’s First Retrofitted Electric LCV: Prices Start At Rs 7.75 Lakh
- BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo ‘Shadow Edition’ Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 42.50 Lakh
- Benelli TRK 502, TRK 502X & Leoncino 500 BS6 Models Will Be Arriving Soon In India
- Ather Electric Scooters Mumbai & Pune Launch Timelines Revealed: Here Are All Details
- Audi RS Q8 To Be Launched In India On August 27: Pre-Bookings Already Started
- Top Car News Of The Week: Highlights In Four-Wheeler Market From Previous Week
- Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Sales In July 2020: Overtakes Its Rival The TVS iQube Electric
Top Electric Cars Coming To India In 2020 have 972 words, post on auto.ndtv.com at February 24, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.