The World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that the disease caused by the new coronavirus will be referred to as COVID-19. Until this point, the illness was known as 2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease. Experts refer to the virus that causes the disease as 2019-nCoV, which stands for novel coronavirus 2019.
There are around 43,000 cases of the illness around the world, and it has killed over 1,000 people so far.
“Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing. It also gives us a standard format to use for any future coronavirus outbreaks,” said Tedros Adhanom, director general of the WHO, in a press conference today.
The name of the disease is linked with the virus that causes it: it starts with “co” and “vi” for “coronavirus.” The “d” stands for disease, while “19” indicates the year that it was first discovered. What the name doesn’t have is an association with Wuhan or China.
The outbreak started in Wuhan, China, and, initially, people colloquially referred to the unknown illness as Wuhan pneumonia or Wuhan flu. Naming conventions through the WHO say that the formal name given to an illness cannot refer to a geographic location. It also can’t refer to an animal or group of people, has to be related to the disease, and must be easy to say.
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Gets Teaser Ahead of Tomorrow’s Trailer
- Ubisoft Shows The Crew Rewards Program in a New Trailer; Lets You Unlock 19 Vehicles for The Crew 2
- Just Cause 3 is Getting Three new DLC Packs
- TomTom’s “leap year bug” causes problems: will getting cozy with car makers help save the industry?
- Space Engineers Reaches New Milestones, Gets An Increase In Price
- Crackdown 3 for Xbox One and PC Reveals New Character; Gets New Trailer and Full SDCC Panel
- FIFA 19 patch notes for PS4, Xbox One and more reveal FUT fixes and updates to career mode
- Obsidian’s Armored Warfare Gets New Patch; Adds Visual Camouflage and Much More
- Madden NFL 19 Release Date, Future Announcements, Rumors, Franchise Mode, Ultimate Team Changes, And More
- Killer Instinct Getting Hisako This Month and a New Game Mode
- New Jersey to allow registered voters to vote by email
- Borderlands 2 Gets Xbox Update, PC and PS3 Will Hit Tomorrow
- Overwatch players on PC, PS4 and Xbox One can now get their hands on Doomfist
- Worms W.M.D Gets Free New Update That Brings a New Mode; New Trailer Released
- New Halo Wars 2 Patch Rolls Out Soon, Fixes Many Common Issues
- For Honor Season Two ‘Shadow and Might’ Launching May 16 Across PC and Consoles; New Trailer Released
- Just Cause 3 trailer contextualises destruction
- Sprint’s new Framily plan offers 20GB of shared data for $100 a month
- Horizon: Zero Dawn’s New Patch Details Revealed
- Corsair unleashes new products for PC gamers, including a revamped Bulldog kit
The illness caused by the new coronavirus gets a new name: COVID-19 have 459 words, post on www.theverge.com at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.