PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One of West Philadelphia’s newest restaurants offers vegan versions of some of your favorite dishes. Think a burger — minus the meat.
In West Philly, there’s a place called Veganish that’s making the concrete blocks of Girard Avenue a little brighter by adding a little more green.
“It’s less about how you cook your food and more about what it is you’re actually eating,” owner Lamarr Ingram said.
Veganish is a new hot spot in the neighborhood that has locals noshing on burgers, piping hot cheese fries and buffalo bites without the wings, without the dairy and without the meat — except for a few seafood items.
Twenty-five of the 28 items on the menu are 100% vegan.
Ingram has been vegan for about three years and he changed the tune to his diet when his doctor gave him a choice. It was either medicine or make a change.
“My doctor gave me six months to lower my cholesterol and he threatened me with medicine,” he said, “and a lightbulb went on and I decided to try a vegan diet. Things that come back from an animal would affect your cholesterol. When I went back to the doctor, my doctor looked at the paperwork, looked at me and he was amazed I was in a normal range. Just to be able to do it naturally on a vegan diet was rewarding.”
Watch the full Taste With Tori at Veganish in West Philadelphia above.
- The next big wave of fast food in the Bay Area is homegrown and vegan
- Vegan meat: The future of planet-saving plant-based eating
- LEON and Mindful Chef team up to offer limited-edition recipe boxes
- Top 10 dishes to try in Hong Kong
- A scrappy new neighborhood market captures the spirit of old San Francisco with sourdough and jam
- State Bird Provisions spin-off the Anchovy Bar opens in S.F. with love for little fish
- Best Christmas menus including KFC’s gravy burger and McDonald’s double Big Mac
- The Voice: Gwen Stefani goes all out against Blake Shelton over talented trio of country singers
- The numbers behind Boris Johnson’s 'traffic light' lockdown: Striking graphs show how England's second wave is 'extending' south of the hotspots in the North as three Nightingale Hospitals are put on alert to reopen
- 50 fun things to do this fall (take your pick)
- Bay Area’s best frozen foods from restaurants: dumplings, pot pie and chewy pizza
- The best air fryer cookbooks for making tasty, healthy meals
- Is food political? How a recipe can be a protest
- Half of Americans are stressed about the temptation of unhealthy foods during the holidays
- The hygge conspiracy
- What is America likely to eat on Election Night?
- The Great 21st-Century Treasure Hunt
- Luxuriant mithaiwalas meld traditional mithai flavours with French techniques, unusual ingredients
- 10 spacious outdoor restaurant patios in San Francisco, Bay Area
- Best coolers in 2020: Cabela, Igloo, Yeti, Coleman and more
Taste With Tori: New West Philly Hot Spot Veganish Offering Vegan Versions Of Your Favorite Dishes have 472 words, post on philadelphia.cbslocal.com at February 27, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.