Actor Jim Carrey attends a screening in Los Angeles, California, of ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ on February 12. — AFP/VNA Photo LOS ANGELES — Defying expectations, Paramount’s new adventure comedy Sonic the Hedgehog took in US$57 million last weekend to leap to the top of the North American box office, industry watcher Exhibitor Relations reported on Sunday. That figure, based on a Friday-through-Sunday estimate, is expected to grow to $68 million when Monday’s Presidents Day holiday in the US is included, proving an exception to the rule that films based on video games rarely excel at the box office. An early trailer for the film had bombed, Variety reported, prompting the studio to redesign the title character. The result: a Sonic boom. Far back in second place was last week’s leader, Warner Bros superhero film Birds of Prey, at $17.1 million for the three-day weekend ($19.5 million for four days). Margot Robbie stars as former Joker girlfriend Harley Quinn. In third was another new release, Sony’s horror film Fantasy Island, at $12.4 million ($14 million). Michael Pena and Maggie Q star in the remake of a 1970s TV show, which has drawn some vicious reviews (“a tide of numbing stupidity,” said CNN). Another new… Read full this story
- 'The Waterboy' Turns 20, But What's The All-Time Highest Grossing Football Movie At The Box Office?
- Weekend Box Office: All hail the king,
- Chris Eubank Jr set to face Brit rival James DeGale on December 8 in London on ITV Box Office
- Whyte's box office journey can shake up Joshua vs Wilder dynamic
- Chevy Sonic Boom concept headed for production?
- Why Bohemian Rhapsody rocked the box office opening weekend
- James Cameron congratulates Marvel on beating Avatar at the box office
- As “Breaking Dawn” Shatters Box Office, Its Screenwriter Breaks New Ground With “Earthseed”
- Eddie Jones urges England to become box-office movie stars in New Zealand thriller
- Infographic: Which James Bond vehicles contributed most to box office bottom lines?
'Sonic' booms to top of N.America box office have 335 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at February 17, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.