On January 29, 2019, Smollett claimed he was the target of a racist and homophobic assault. He alleged two masked men shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him and attacked him while walking home in Chicago around 2 a.m.
Police later said Smollett lied and had paid the two men, Ola and Abel Osundairo, to stage the attack. He was later charged with disorderly conduct.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx later dropped the charges, stirring up a lot of controversies.
A special prosecutor was then assigned to investigate how this case was handled.
On Tuesday, it was announced that a grand jury has indicted Smollett on six counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly making false reports.
The special prosecutor had yet to reach any conclusions about whether the State Attorney’s Office engaged in any wrongdoing.
Smollett is due in court on Feb. 24 to face the new charges.
- Jussie Smollett partied with his alleged 'attacker' at a Chicago bathhouse: report
- Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty in court over new charges related to alleged hate crime attack
- Hoodlums on rampage: Attack police officer in broad daylight
- Jussie Smollett Pleads Not Guilty at Arraignment for Lying to Cops
- Jussie Smollett Combating Domestic Violence Amid Pandemic Spike
- COVID-19: 7 arrested as hoodlums attack police officer
- New Charges Filed Against Parents of 13 Children in California House of Horrors Case
- Jack Osbourne has 'police called to his home after he PUNCHES estranged wife Lisa Stelly's new boyfriend in the head during heated exchange'
- Racist Threats and Attacks that Rattled a California University Campus Were Faked, Police Say
- ‘When Calls the Heart’ Returning Soon-ish As Fired Lori Loughlin’s Legal Fate TBD
- Prosecutor: 'Downpour' of evidence led to charges in Fifa corruption trial
- Germany and right-wing extremism: The new dimension of terrorism
- Furious Trump hints at withholding coronavirus aid from 'mutinous' governors after NY's Cuomo calls him schizophrenic for risking constitutional crisis by behaving like a 'king' and claiming total power to reopen country
- Middle-aged Crowd Break COVID-19 Stay-at-Home Order to Watch Pink Floyd Cover Band, Chant 'F*** the Police' as Officers Arrive
- A third of Brits think the police have gone too far with their lockdown crackdown
- Priti Patel FINALLY surfaces in radio interview to slap down overzealous police after they threaten to check people's shopping for 'non-essential' items and set up roadblocks to ensure motorists only make legitimate trips during coronavirus lockdown
- Ellen Page Calls Out Chris Pratt for Attending 'Infamously Anti-LGBT' Church
- I'm not a motherf***er you laugh at': Makers of YouTube hit 'Miami Zombie Attack Prank!' flee in panic as man reacts furiously to their bomb hoax stunt
- Coughing 'attacks' may be prosecuted as terrorism in war on coronavirus
- Weinstein was terrified of a Chihuahua called Peanut who chased him when he barged into NYC home of production assistant he later raped, trial hears
Jussie Smollett Indicted On 6 New Charges Related To Attack Police Called A Hoax have 510 words, post on losangeles.cbslocal.com at February 11, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.