Bhubaneswar: The upcoming FIH Pro League matches against a tough Indian side will serve as good preparation for world no.2 Australia ahead of the Tokyo Olympics, says the visiting team’s captain Aran Zalewski.
After a disappointing start to their campaign in the second FIH Pro League where they lost to world champions Belgium, Australia bounced back with victories over Great Britain and will now lock horns against India in the two-leg contest here on Friday and Saturday.
Soon after arriving here on Sunday night, the skipper of the three-time world champions admitted that world no.4 India would be a tough nut to crack in front of home crowd.
“I think it serves us as good preparation to be facing India away from home in this important Olympic year,” Zalewski said.
“The Indian team has also done well so far, so we’re looking forward to playing them here. We also have a week to prepare for the matches, so we’re hoping we can acclimatise with the conditions and put up a strong show,” he said.
With two wins from four matches, defending champions Australia are currently at the fifth spot in the points table with six points, while India, with three victories out of four games, are a rung above at the third place.
Australia coach Colin Batch too agreed with his captain when asked about his expectations from the matches against India at the Kalinga Stadium.
“We’re delighted to be back here in Bhubaneswar to face India. It’s been a mixed start for us in the Pro League so far, but we’re hoping to face a tough fight against the hosts. We are also looking forward to playing in front of a noisy, full crowd,” he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time.
- India in Australia: "ODI series is going to be really tough for Indian players," claims Tim Paine
- ISL 2020-21: Jamshedpur FC: Team Preview: Squad, Fixtures, Best Players, Strength, Weakness, Prediction
- India vs Australia: Will be in World Cup squad if I can make opportunities count like this one: Glenn Maxwell
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli faces Shami, Siraj, Jadeja in the nets to prepare for the upcoming ODI series
- Indian Women's Hockey Team plays fearlessly now, says striker Navneet Kaur
- Tim Paine, Marnus Labuschagne in mass airlift to avert summer disruption
- Cricket for some, not for all - where does the women's game stand?
- Happy to play any role in the Indian team: KL Rahul
- Diverse in skillset, united in goal: Shami on pace pack's success
- Rohit and Ishant need to be on the Australia flight as soon as possible: Ravi Shastri
- Mitchell Marsh in 'weird situation' as ankle scan reports don't reach CA from UAE
- Coronavirus latest: German schools to reopen, larger events must wait
FIH Pro League Matches against India Ggood Preparation for 2020 Tokyo Olympics: Australian Captain Aran Zalewski have 501 words, post on www.news18.com at February 17, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.