Coco Gauff, 15, beat Romania’s Sorana Cirstea. (Photo: AFP/William West) On a day when men’s seeds tumbled, Serbia’s Novak Djokovic strode into the third round to be joined by Roger Federer, who dismissed Filip Krajinovic 6-1, 6-4, 6-1. American teenager Gauff, showing a tenacity which is becoming her trademark, clawed her way back from a set down to beat the experienced Sorana Cirstea 4-6, 6-3, 7-5. Gauff, who screamed and pumped her fists as she completed her victory, said her “will to win” had got her through the tough second-round match at a windswept Melbourne Park. “My parents always told me you can always come back – no matter what the score is,” said Gauff, who beat seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams in round one. Gauff also beat Williams on her Grand Slam debut last year at Wimbledon, and in another quirk, she faced Osaka in the US Open third round, going down meekly in straight sets. Japan’s Osaka, 22, beat China’s Zheng Saisai 6-2, 6-4 but briefly lost her cool mid-match, hurling and kicking her racquet when she gave up a break in the second set. “I was thinking that I really don’t want to play a third… Read full this story
- Coco Gauff, 15, beats Venus Williams at Wimbledon and declares: I want to be the greatest
- Usual suspects dominate in dream decade for Djokovic, Serena stuck on 23
- Coco Gauff promoted to Luxembourg main draw as Kerber, Sharapova withdraw
- Cori 'Coco' Gauff, 15, stages remarkable comeback at Wimbledon
- Naomi Osaka: From multinational giants to noodle firms - why everyone wants a piece of world No 1
- US Open 2019: Djokovic retires from Wawrinka clash, Federer fabulous
- Year-Ender 2019: From England's Maiden ODI World Cup Triumph to Federer-Djokovic's Historic Wimbledon Final - 10 Best Sporting Moments of 2019
- Naomi Osaka claims shock French Open loss to unseeded Katerina Siniakova 'best thing that could have happened'
- Cori 'Coco' Gauff: 'Cool that Michelle Obama knows I exist'
- "Still A Lot Of Fire": Maria Sharapova Accepts Brisbane International Wildcard
Coco crunch for Osaka as Djokovic bowls over wildcard have 350 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at February 24, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.