Police in the north-central province of Thanh Hoa on Saturday said two suspects had been detained for transporting heroin and meth.
Tran Hoai Nam, 46, was caught driving a pickup truck with ten bricks of heroin by officers stationed at a checkpoint on National Highway 1A in Thanh Hoa on Wednesday.
The man was delivering the illegal drugs from the north-central province of Nghe An to Hanoi.
Officers then searched his residence in Nghe An and seized one pistol, 16 bullets, and other evidence related to the alleged crime.
|A pistol and bullets are seized from the residence of drug suspect Tran Hoai Nam in Nghe An Province, Vietnam. Photo: Dinh Hop / Tuoi Tre|
On the same day, Thanh Hoa police caught Tran Trong Tinh, 26, driving a car with four kilograms of crystal meth on National Highway 1.
Tinh said he was transporting the drugs from Laos to Thanh Hoa.
Preliminary information showed Nam and Tinh both worked for a drug ring responsible for trafficking narcotics from Laos into Vietnam for sale.
They have both been placed in detention as further investigation is ongoing.
Transporting illegal narcotics, including heroin and meth, carries 20 years in prison, a life sentence, or the death penalty, according to the Penal Code of Vietnam.
|Drug suspect Tran Hoai Nam is pictured with the narcotics he was transporting at the time of his arrest on January 15, 2020. Photo: Dinh Hop / Tuoi Tre|
|Bricks of heroin are seized from a pickup truck driven by Tran Hoai Nam in Thanh Hoa Province on January 15, 2020. Photo: Dinh Hop / Tuoi Tre|
- Sweden offers advice on fostering Vietnam’s public transport
- Vietnam arrests three in fraudulent cryptocurrency scheme
- Tips for traveling Vietnam during Tet
- Vietnamese, Lao men caught trafficking 10 kilos of heroin
- Vietnam-Laos court cooperation increasingly substantive: chief justices
- Vietnam’s Ambassador to US pays New Year visit to Lao embassy
- Lao Defence Ministry delegation welcomed in Vietnam
- Vietnam, Laos seek ways to ensure legal rights for people in border region
- 10 days in Vietnam – Sensing the Timeless Charm
- Saigon Market- Top 10 Markets in South Vietnam