LAS VEGAS (AP) — An 18-year-old was arrested Wednesday on attempted murder charges, a day after a shooting triggered by a gang dispute wounded three people, sent shoppers scrambling and drew a massive police response to an upscale Las Vegas Strip mall, authorities said.
Christopher Valenzuela-Olivas was identified as the shooter who fled after the Tuesday evening gunfire at the Fashion Show Mall, Officer Larry Hadfield said.
The wounded men, ranging from 16 to 78, were treated at a hospital for injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening and released, Hadfield said. Their names were not made public.
The police spokesman did not immediately say how investigators determined Valenzuela-Olivas was involved. He said the shooting appeared to be gang-related and the police gang unit was handling the case.
Valenzuela-Olivas was expected to have an attorney appointed for his defense at his first court appearance, possibly Thursday.
Police said Valenzuela-Olivas and an acquaintance who was still being sought for questioning got into an argument with another person near a mall exit before Valenzuela-Olivas pulled a handgun and fired several shots.
Some shoppers ran from the mall in the heart of the glitzy casino-resort district. Others dashed into stores and sheltered with employees in back rooms until police and mall security officials determined the shooting was an isolated incident and there was no further threat.
Spa employee Juston Thompson said the panic reminded him of the 2017 massacre at an open-air country music festival in Las Vegas that killed 58 people and injured hundreds of others.
“I just stopped,” Thompson told the Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Police arrest 47-year-old man over hit-and-run in Auckland suburb
- Baton Rouge police arrest 16-year-old in February fatal shooting of 15-year-old boy
- Kiski Township Police Arrest 50-Year-Old Woman For Driving Under The Influence Of Cocaine
- At Least 21 Shot, 4 Killed In Weekend Gun Violence In Chicago; Police Officer, 10-Year-Old Boy Among Those Wounded
- Video Shows Chicago Police Killing 13-Year-Old With His Hands Up
- 18-Year-Old Killed In Shooting At Apartment Complex In Arlington, Police Say
- 18-year-old arrested after knife attack at Boon Lay supermarket
- 18-Year-Old Killed in New Jersey Shooting While Protecting Girlfriend's 10-Year-Old Nephew
- Philadelphia Police Identify 11-Year-Old Child Shot, Killed While Riding Scooter In Oxford Circle Double Shooting
- Frankford Shooting Leaves 18-Year-Old Man Dead, Philadelphia Police Say
- Police identify 28-year-old man shot dead in Rexdale
- 16-Year-Old Boy Critically Hurt In Apparent Drive-By Shooting, Police Say
- Man fatally shot by girlfriend's 18-year-old son during argument, EBRSO says
- Man ties up mother, abducts 18 year old daughter in Hua Hin
- Police name 21-year-old killed in Saturday double shooting in Etobicoke
- Kori Gauthier update: Body found in Mississippi River identified as missing 18-year-old LSU student
- After violently arresting 73-year-old US woman with dementia, police laughed about it
- Police Killed 20-Year-Old Daunte Wright On Sunday, Sparking Protests
- I feel offended when spending stolen money, 18 year old hacker confesses
- 18-Year-Old Going 148 MPH Racks Up 43 Tickets, Felony Charges After State Police Pursuit, Authorities Say
Vegas police arrest 18-year-old in mall shooting that hurt 3 have 471 words, post on apnews.com at January 23, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.