DENPASAR, Indonesia (AP) — An Indonesian court sentenced an American man to 9 1/3 years in prison on Monday after finding him guilty of selling cocaine and marijuana on the resort island of Bali.
Police said Ian Andrew Hernandez of California was arrested last May with 10 small plastic packs containing 6.6 grams of cocaine and a pack with 23.7 grams of marijuana at his rented house on the island. The raid on the house followed a tip from a member of the community.
Police also seized electric scales, cigarette papers and a cellphone allegedly used to receive orders for drugs from tourists through text messages. The indictment said Hernandez confessed that the devices and drugs were his.
Hernandez, 31, sat silently as a panel of three judges at Denpasar District Court handed down the punishment. They also ordered him to pay a fine of 1 billion rupiah ($72,885) or serve two more months behind bars.
“The defendant did commit a crime that has tarnished Bali as a tourist destination,” said Presiding Judge Koni Hartanto. “What he has done is contrary to government efforts to fight drug trafficking.”
Hernandez declined to speak to reporters on his way back to prison.
Prosecutors had sought a 14-year sentence, but the judges said they reduced the penalty because Hernandez regretted his acts and promised to reform.
Hernandez’s lawyer, Made Suardika Adnyana, told the court that his client accepted the verdict.
Indonesia has strict drug laws and convicted traffickers are sometimes executed by firing squad. More than 150 people are on death row, mostly for drug crimes. About a third are foreigners.
Eighteen people convicted of drug-related offenses have been executed under the current administration of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
Last year, a Frenchman was sentenced to death on Lombok, an island next to Bali, for smuggling 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) of ecstasy, before a higher court commuted his sentence to 19 years in prison.
- Two F-16 Fighter Jets Scrambled to Escort Plane After American Man 'Started Screaming and Hitting Wildly'
- Man sentenced to 36 years in prison for vehicular homicide in Jefferson County
- Texas man sentenced to 1 year in prison on hate crime charge
- Denver drug ring leader who solicited murder sentenced to 40 years in prison
- Leader of major drug ring sentenced to 30 years in prison
- Boston police captain’s son sentenced to 20 years for terror plot
- Man Who Collected 14 Million Child Porn Images Sentenced To 100 Years In Prison
- Ohio man sentenced to 30 years for attack on Kennesaw woman in front of son
- Fatal crash nets Florida man 10-day sentence — over 10 years
- New Jersey Man Sentenced to 25 Years to Life for Child Sex, Porn Crimes
- Man sentenced to 145 years for firing shots at officers
- Man sentenced to 354 years in prison in highway shootings
- German prosecutors: American man killed girlfriend, self
- Chalmette man sentenced to 20 years in St. Roch heroin-trafficking case
- Hartford man sentenced to prison for drug trafficking in New London
- Reading family sentenced for running city drug house
- Indonesia detains Polish man in conflict prone Papua region
- Former East Chicago councilman sentenced to 20 years
- Man Sentenced to Prison for Drug Shooting
- Supplier of Saratoga drug dealer sentenced to 12 years
Indonesia sentences American man to 9 1/3 years for drugs have 495 words, post on apnews.com at January 13, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.