Since 2015, JICA has partnered with the Southern metropolis of Vietnam to improve awareness and capacity of monitoring greenhouse gas emissions across the city. The amount of CO2 in Ho Chi Minh City was estimated at 38.5 million tons in 2013, making up about 13 percent of the country.
Director of the municipal Department of Natural Resources and Environment Nguyen Toan Thang said the department has proposed local authorities monitor greenhouse gas emissions biennially, starting from 2016, based on the guidance of the JICA.
He noted that the city has joined the C40 Low Emission Vehicle Network to learn experience in coping with climate change from major cities around the world.
Additionally, Ho Chi Minh City has expanded its cooperative ties with Japan’s Osaka city to carry out measures on waste treatment and ensure environmental hygiene, he said.
Director of the Department of Hydrometeorology and Climate Change under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Nguyen Van Tue said the project will be expanded to other localities.
The ministry plans to use the JICA guidance as a reference for the implementation of the Decree building a road-map for greenhouse gas emissions, which will be submitted to the Government in 2018, he added.
Yoshihiro Mizuno, a short term expert from JICA, advised Ho Chi Minh City and other Vietnamese localities to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions by reducing the use of electricity and fuel in buildings while installing solar energy systems on their roofs, using bus rapid transit and urban railways, collecting and recycling waste to create organic fertilizer and biogas.
- Ho Chi Minh City youth attracted to mixed martial arts
- Vietnam's first top-quality Japanese goods trade center opens in Ho Chi Minh City
- Acute respiratory disease hospital in Ho Chi Minh City comes into operation
- Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City schools to stay shut for another week
- Festivals to be held nationwide to celebrate President Ho Chi Minh’s birthday
- US greenhouse gas emissions fell in 2019 due to less coal consumption, data shows
- BP wants to somehow eliminate its greenhouse gas emissions
- Smart city project yields initial fruit in HCMC
- HCM City FC play out thrilling draw with Yangon United in AFC Cup 2020
- Festivals to be held nationwide to celebrate President Hồ Chí Minh’s birthday