It was almost like a commercial for some handloom brand was under way at the Promenade as Government staff turned up for work in spotless white traditional attire.
Led by Chief Secretary Ashwani Kumar, Government secretaries and others arrived for work at the Chief Secretariat in dhotis and white shirts and shawls to celebrate the International Dhoti Day.
The Raj Nivas too joined in the celebrations with men reporting for work in the traditional veshti and shirt draped with a shawl.
In her greeting, Lt. Governor Kiran Bedi wished them a “Happy Dhoti Day’.
G. Theva Neethi Dhas, OSD to the Lt. Governor, said wearing dhoti is symbolic of the rich traditional Tamil culture and promoting wearing of dhoti benefits the handloom sector.
- Domoguen: Celebrating our days and the pursuit of a ‘platformed’ life
- UK govt gives lawmakers only 3 days to eye bill on Brexit
- Creative ways to celebrate V-Day
- Shell Advance celebrates Independence Day with riders
- Myanmar govt staff sentenced to jail for criticizing army
- Philippines celebrates Centenarians’ Day today
- Imus celebrates 16-day journey of Philippine flag
- Here’s the internal memo Rupert Murdoch just sent Fox News staff after the first day of the post-Bill O’Reilly era
- How celebrities celebrated Christmas Day
- BGC celebrates Bonifacio Day with ‘Passionfest’