CAIRO, Jan. 17 (Xinhua) — The cooperation portfolio between Egypt and the World Bank Group is estimated at 8 billion U.S. dollars, the Egyptian cabinet said in a statement on Friday.
“This amount covers the sectors with high priority to the government,” the statement quoted Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly as saying.
The amount includes 5.8 billion U.S. dollars of investment by International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and 2.2 billion U.S. dollars of investment by global financial entities, the statement added.
It reiterated that the government attributed special importance to the private sector in the country’s economic activities in partnership with the World Bank Group for achieving the 2030 Sustainable Development objectives.
Madbouly hailed the national economic reform, adopted in 2016, for its effect on the country’s economic indicators, as the GDP growth hit 5.6 percent, cash reserve reached 45.5 billion U.S. dollars, unemployment rates declined to 7.5 percent, while tourism revenues reached 12.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2019.
The remarks came after a meeting on Thursday with high-ranking executives from the World Bank presenting the results of Egyptian government’s economic reform between 2016 to 2019.
Egypt’s economy has been battered by years of turmoil following the 2011 popular uprising that toppled former President Hosni Mubarak.
However, the country has recently shown signs of economic improvement amid strict reforms, including tax hikes and energy subsidy cuts recommended by the International Monetary Fund that supports Egypt’s economic reform plan with a 12-billion-USD loan.
- CORRECTED-World Bank sees Egypt economy growing 5.8% in 2019/20
- UN report details West Bank wreckage
- Sustainable forestry to boost growth among ethnic groups
- UPDATE 2-Temasek grim on returns outlook after slowest portfolio gain in 3 years
- RPT-UPDATE 2-Temasek grim on returns outlook after slowest portfolio gain in 3 years
- 'Gold should not be more than 5% of your portfolio'
- SCB sets up partnership with three Hong Kong banks
- Deputy PM Pham Binh Minh addresses issues of public concern
- India starting faceless tax assessment regime to forestall discretion in tax collection: PM Modi
- Vietnam, Hong Kong hold potential for stronger cooperation
- SoftBank Group Corp promotes Lydia Jett to Partner at $100 bn Vision Fund
- Agribank asked to become leading bank in region
- Temasek grim on returns outlook after slowest portfolio gain in three years
- PM: positive results in 10 months create foundation for sustainable growth
- Results in 10 months create foundation for sustainable growth: PM
- How to hide it: inside the secret world of wealth managers
- Banking royal commission: The financial sector's descent to the fourth circle of hell
- Comment - Don’t entrust the fate of banks to the government
- Tony Blair: the former PM for hire
- From world's factory to world market
Egypt, World Bank Group cooperation portfolio totals 8 bln USD: PM have 417 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at January 17, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.