“Indian FMCG revenue growth has slowed down since FY16, but earnings growth has been strong driven by benign raw material costs and tax rate cuts (GST and corporate tax). However, we see some headwinds going ahead,” said BNP’s analyst Kunal Vora in a client note.
BNP Paribas on Thursday also said it expects a 9 per cent rise in Sensex amid concerns on the broader economy. It expects the 30-share BSE Sensex to be 44,500 points by the end of the year. In the past five years, most consumer companies struggled to clock double digit revenue growth despite the macro and external factors being better than current levels, the bank said.
BNP said FMCG companies’ operating margins, which have been improving consistently, could also be at risk from the recent rise in raw materials. FMCG spending could also be impacted due to rise in telecom tariffs.
“Weak income growth and inflationary pressure in categories such as telecoms, could make price hikes difficult for the FMCG companies, without hurting volumes,” the note said.
BNP said most companies continue to trade at a premium compared to their last five- and ten-year average estimated price-to-earnings ratio. “We see a risk to consensus earnings estimates as well as multiples,” it said.
- Stocks are riding high, so why are investment pros turning bearish?
- An evening walk down D-St: Sensex jumps 793 pts, Nifty tops 11k; banks, NBFCs log gains
- An evening walk down D-St: Sensex, Nifty end marginally higher; Yes Bank jumps 4%
- Buy and forget top 4-5 PSU banks for next 2 years: Ajay Bagga
- In Big Push for Revival of Telecom Sector, Govt Mulls Minimum Price for Calls, Data
- An evening walk down D-St: Investors lose Rs 2 lakh cr in a day as weak global sentiment weighs on Nifty, Sensex
- Taking Stock: Weak economic data spells trouble for D-St; Sensex plunged over 200 pts
- Global rebound, banking rally lift Sensex 265 points
- Share Market Update: Sensex Tanks Over 700 Pts Amid Rise In Oil Prices, Nifty Turns Red For 2019
- Private banks, insurance, energy & utilities top picks: Manishi Raychaudhuri, BNP Paribas
- An evening walk down D-St: Sensex, Nifty erase most gains to end marginally higher
- An evening walk down D-St: Sensex, Nifty extend gains; investors richer by Rs 4.8 lakh cr in 3 days
- Share Market Update: Sensex Tanks 434 Pts After RBI Cuts GDP Forecast; Banking Stocks Hit
- An evening walk down D-St: Sensex, Nifty fall for 2nd day in a row; Yes Bank, Tata Motors crash
- An evening walk down D-St: Massive sell-off drags Sensex, Nifty lower by almost 2%
- Children's Day special! These 9 stocks could give bumper returns in the next 10 years
- Sensex falls 60 points, Nifty tests 11,800 on weak macros, China data
- Sensex drops 229 pts on growth, trade deal concerns, Nifty below 11,850
- Sensex tumbles 229 points as weak macro data, rupee woes weigh
- Sensex, Nifty Start on Tepid Note as Weak Global Equities Keep Investors on Edge
BNP sees Sensex at 44500 by year-end, turns bearish on the consumer sector have 524 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at January 17, 2020. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.