The Ministry of Transport has asked the government to consider allocating capital for the upgrade of runways at Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat international airports.
|The overload has caused visible cracks and subsidence on the surface of the runways at the Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi.|
In the proposal submitted to Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc, the ministry said it is urgent to renovate runways at the country’s two largest and busiest airports.
The Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat airports are under great pressure due to increase in air travel demand, it said, adding that the runways at the two airports in Hanoi and HCM City currently handle a number of flights beyond capacity.
The overload has caused visible cracks and subsidence on the surface of the runways, affecting the operations of large airplanes.
Though the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV), the operator of domestic civilian airports, has provided funding for the two airports to repair the damage, the ministry said it is just a temporary solution. If the runways are not properly upgraded, it will pose risks to aviation safety, it noted.
The runway renovation projects are estimated to cost around 4.2 trillion VND, or 184 million USD .
The two airports were estimated to serve about 64 million passengers last year. Of that, Tan Son Nhat Airport transported 38 million passengers and Noi Bai Airport, 26 million passengers. VNA
- Transport Ministry asked to study Noi Bai Airport expansion plan
- Transport Ministry asks to monitor African Swine Fever at traffic centers
- Transport ministry proposes plan to upgrade Tan Son Nhat airport
- Bản in : Transport ministry seeks private funds for upgrades
- Transport ministry seeks private funds for upgrades
- Transport Ministry must make clear Long Thanh airport project
- Transport Ministry inaugurates national highway upgrading project
- MoIT proposes airport runway upgrades
- Transport ministry wants to reacquire national airports operator
- Major airport runways require urgent repairs