An Australian tourist who was injured in the White Island volcano disaster has died in hospital – bringing the death toll up to 16.
NSW Health confirmed a man died on Sunday after he had been medically transferred to Concord Hospital in Sydney from New Zealand.
The victim’s name and age will not be released at the request of his family, according to a statement.
The death means as of Sunday afternoon, 16 people, including 10 Australians, have died as a result of Monday’s deadly eruption.
Earlier, police released the names of three more Australians, and one New Zealander, who were killed in the disaster after completing victim identification work.
Anthony (far right) 51, and Kristine, 44, (second from right) Langford and their children Jesse, 19, (left) and Winona, 17, (second from left) set sail from Sydney last week on a Royal Caribbean cruise
Mr Langford (center) 51, was formally identified by police on Sunday as a victim in White Island eruption. His wife and daughter remain missing
Injured: Jesse Langford, 19, was found in hospital, alive but with burns to 90 per cent of his body
In addition to Mr Langford, Adelaide schoolgirl Zoe Hosking, 15 and her stepfather Gavin Dallow, 53, were formally identified, as well as New Zealand tour guide Tipene Maangi, 24.
Recovery teams have been conducting dangerous search operations to recover missing bodies on the island since Friday. Police said divers faced ‘unique and challenging conditions’ as they searched waters ‘with between zero and two metres visibility’
The rescuers disembarked their vessel at the same position where just days earlier the excited tourists first set foot on White Island. New Zealand authorities believe the force of the volcanic eruption resulted in one of the victims being knocked into the water
They are believed to be among the bodies recovered on Friday during a high-stakes mission to retrieve eight victims who were still on the island.
In total, 47 people were on White Island during Monday’s disaster.
The New Zealand Health Ministry confirmed the death toll as of Sunday morning was 15 after a patient in Waikato Hospital died from their injuries on Saturday night.
There are 14 patients being cared for in four burns units around New Zealand – Middlemore, Hutt Valley, Waikato, and Christchurch – with 10 listed as critical.
Ten Australians are confirmed dead and a further two are presumed to have died.
Last week, Langford family relatives who flew to New Zealand in a desperate search said they found no trace of the missing family members and believe the three didn’t survive.
Other family members said they believed the trio never made it off the island and were waiting on the bodies to be retrieved for DNA tests to confirm.
Mrs Langford had shared a photo of herself, her husband, and Jesse – presumably taken by Winona – of them about to board the ship.
‘My first post in a while. We’re off cruising on #royalcarribeancruise Happy birthday [Anthony Langford]. Bon voyage everyone!’ she wrote.
Jesse’s former principal at Marist College North Shore, Tony Duncan, asked parents and staff to pray for his recovery.
‘Jesse, who graduated last year, was a talented and popular student during his time at the school, finishing up as MacKillop House captain.
‘Jesse has been a student at Marist since Year 7, with his family remembered fondly around the College. Please have the Langford family in your prayers.’
Mr Langford was a long-time employee of Sydney Water and his wife was a stay-home mother to the two children.
The news comes after a second Sydney family were believed to have been wiped out in the disaster after two relatives were declared dead and two others are still missing.
Matthew Hollander, 13, and his brother Berend, 16, schoolboys at Sydney’s Knox Grammar, both died in hospital after suffering serious injuries in the blast.
Zoe Hosking, from Adelaide, and her stepfather Gavin Dallow, 53, were among those who were formally declared dead on Sunday
New Zealand tour guide Tipene Maangi, 24, was formally identified by police as a victim on Sunday
Krystal Eve Browitt, 21, from Melbourne (pictured) was formally identified as the first Australian victim of Monday’s White Island volcano disaster
Their parents Martin, 48, and Barbara Hollander, 50, remain missing and are presumed dead.
A follow-up mission to New Zealand’s White Island failed to retrieve the two remaining bodies still missing after Monday’s volcanic eruption.
Defence force operatives returned to the surface of Whakaari on Sunday, two days after their first high-stakes trip to the active volcano brought back six bodies.
Police understand eight people were killed on the island.
They spent Saturday debriefing the operation and searching nearby waters – contaminated from the blast and contained dead fish and eels – for the last two bodies.
Mission command firmly believe a seventh body is in the water, and are increasingly convinced the eighth could be too.
However, both Saturday’s water-based search and Sunday’s landing have failed to turn up the remains.
‘It’s been a blow for police,’ deputy commissioner Mike Clement said,
Sydney schoolboys, Berend Hollander, 16, (left) and his brother Matthew, 13, (right) were injured in the eruption but later died in hospital. They both studied at Sydney’s Knox Grammar school
The boys’ parents Barbara and Martin Hollander (pictured) are still missing but are believed to be dead
‘Everyone went out there desperate to find the bodies … it’s been tough going for everybody.
‘We understand completely how frustrating it is for loved ones who want the bodies back.’
As of Sunday afternoon NZDT, divers are now back in the water around the Bay of Plenty island, hoping they can reach a breakthrough.
The situation on the volcano, New Zealand’s most active, remains volatile and dangerous.
The latest update from geological monitoring agency GeoNet left the alert level at two and suggested there was a 30 to 45 per cent chance of an eruption in the next day.
National Operations Commander and New Zealand police deputy commissioner John Tims said Sunday morning’s visit was quicker than Friday’s four-hour salvage effort.
The retrieval team wore the same protective clothing as Friday but carried a diminished breathing apparatus, ‘meaning they will only be able to stay on the island for up to 75 minutes’, Tims said.
More people travelled to Whakaari – two teams of four search and rescue operatives, as well as disaster victim Identification staff.
‘These police staff will be deployed to an area of the island where our best information suggests a body might be,’ Tims said prior to the mission.
A police Eagle helicopter hovered over the island to support the search, with a GNS Science staff member.
Despite returning back to the mainland empty-handed, police have underlined their commitment to the job.
‘We remain committed to finishing the task at hand and returning the two remaining bodies to their loved ones,’ Tims said.
Australian victims in White Island tragedy: The dead and missing
Twenty four Australians were among 47 tourist on White Island when it erupted.
Julie Richards, 47, and her daughter Jessica, 20, from Brisbane.
Julie Richards, 47, and her daughter Jessica, 20, (pictured) from Brisbane are among the dead
Gavin Dallow, 53, and stepdaughter Zoe Hosking, 15, from Adelaide
The Hosking/Dallow family had been on a tour at the time of the eruption. Mum Lisa Dallow is among the injured in hospital. Her husband Gavin (right) 53, and 15-year-old daughter Zoe, from Adelaide, (left) were confirmed dead on Wednesday
Mr Dallow’s body was identified by police from the five bodies recovered from the island. Zoe was formally identified as a victim on Sunday.
Karla Mathews, 32, and Richard Elzer, 32, from Coffs Harbour, NSW
Karla Mathews (left), 32, is dead as is boyfriend Richard Elzer (right), 32, from Coffs Harbour
The couple were identified as those tourists still on the island and therefore presumed dead by their families on Wednesday.
Jason Griffiths, 33, Coffs Harbour, NSW
Jason Griffiths, 33, from Coffs Harbour was taken to hospital in critical condition but died from his injuries on Wednesday
Jason Griffiths, 33, from Coffs Harbour, NSW, died from his injuries on Wednesday after being taken to hospital in critical condition.
He had been on a tour of the volcano with couple Karla Mathews, 32, and Richard Elzer, 32, who are now presumed dead, friends said.
Matthew (Year 8) and Berend Hollander (Year 10) from Sydney
Matthew (left, year eight) and Berend (right, year 10) Hollander were confirmed dead on Thursday morning
Knox Grammar schoolboy brothers Matthew, 13, and Berend, 16, Hollander were confirmed dead on Thursday morning.
They died in two New Zealand hospitals after escaping the island with horrific burns.
Krystal Browitt, 21, from Melbourne
Krystal Browitt was on the cruise for her 21st birthday with family
Ms Browitt was formally identified as a victim on Saturday. She was on the Ovation of the Seas cruise for her 21st birthday with family.
Her father Paul and sister Stephanie are in serious condition in hospital. Her mother Marie escaped death by staying on the cruise liner.
Anthony Langford, 51, from Sydney
Anthony Langford, 51, (pictured with wife Kristine) had been among those still unaccounted for in the disaster. He was confirmed dead by police on Sunday
Anthony Langford, 51, was formally identified by New Zealand Police on Sunday as a victim of the disaster.
The Sydney dad-of-two was on holiday with his wife Kristine, and two children Winona, 17, and Jesse, 19, at the time of the eruption.
Jesse was found alive but is in hospital after suffering burns to 90 per cent of his body. Mrs Langford and Winona remain missing.
Mr Langford worked for Sydney Water.
Martin and Barbara Hollander, from Sydney
Parents Martin and Barbara, who were on the island with their sons when the eruption hit on Monday, are listed among the missing
According to his Linkedin profile, Mr Hollander works at Transport for NSW as a freight initiatives manager.
He is also a director at a Singaporean investment management firm, Wipunen Incrementum Capital.
He was on a family holiday with his wife, who remains unaccounted for, and two kids, who were confirmed dead on Thursday.
Kristine, 44, and daughter Winona Langford, 17, Sydney
The Langford family had been among those still unaccounted for after the eruption. So far, Anthony Langford has been confirmed dead. Son Jesse, 19, is in hospital, but Winona and mum Kristine remain missing
Kristine Langford and daughter Winona, 17, remain unaccounted for after Monday’s eruption.
Husband and dad Anthony, 51, was declared dead, while son Jesse, is in hospital
Lisa Dallow, 49, from Adelaide
Lisa Dallow (right with her husband Gavin who is missing), 49, from Adelaide
She is an induced coma in Hamilton Hospital, with 57 per cent of her body burnt
Jesse Langford, 19, Sydney
Found: Jesse Langford (pictured with Michelle Spring, believed to be his girlfriend) is in hospital but his condition is not clear
He has been identified among the injured in hospital. He is reported to have suffered burns to 90 per cent of his body
- Indonesia tsunami death toll climbs to 373; 128 others missing
- Indonesia quake death toll rises to 98
- Indonesian tsunami death toll reaches 280 as Médecins Sans Frontières reports the count will rise for several more days
- Florence death toll swells to 16 as rivers rise
- The Latest: Death toll climbs to 222 in Indonesia tsunami
- Indonesian rescuers use drones, sniffer dogs as tsunami death toll rises
- Photos show the devastation from Indonesia's tsunami as the death toll rises
- Death toll from Sunda Strait tsunami rises to 429
- DEATH TOLL RISES: 91 confirmed dead after massive earthquake hits Indonesia
- Trump pushes conspiracy theory about Puerto Rico death toll
- The Latest: Death toll in Sri Lanka blasts rises to 207
- The death toll from the New Zealand mosque attacks has risen to 50
- Death toll of Banten's earthquake has climbed to six
- At least 15 people have died after a 7.5-magnitude earthquake hit Papa New Guinea
- 222 dead as volcano-triggered tsunami hits Indonesia
- Indonesia's tsunami toll rises as shocking footage shows the terrible moment when a massive wave washes a rock concert away
- FEMA to open temporary disaster recovery centers for Camp Fire victims in Sacramento County
- Powerful quake rocks Indonesian tourist island, 91 dead
- Powerful quake rocks Indonesia's Lombok island, 39 dead
- 1,200 tourists being evacuated from Indonesia quake islands – disaster agency
Tragedy as injured Australian caught up in the White Island volcano disaster dies in hospital - taking death toll to 16 have 2115 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at December 15, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.