A sluice in a coastal commune in the Mekong Delta province of Kien Giang prevents saltwater intrusion. (Photo: VNA) HCM City (VNS/VNA) – Authorities in provinces in the Mekong Delta and Can Tho city are dredging irrigation works and storing fresh water to cope with saltwater intrusion during the dry season. Saltwater intrusion is expected to be more severe this year because of low flooding levels and lower than usual rainfall during the rainy season, according to local authorities. During the dry season, saline intrusion will occur earlier than usual, causing a shortage of fresh water for agricultural production, according to the Southern Institute of Water Resources Research. Kien Giang province’s People’s Committee has told agencies to dredge irrigation canals to improve water storage and to build temporary dams to prevent saline intrusion. The province plans to complete construction of 173 temporary dams by mid-month. The affected coastal areas are located from Rach Gia city to Ha Tien city, along the Cai Lon – Cai Be rivers, and in the U Minh Thuong area. Water with a salinity of 0.4 percent is expected to enter 40km deep into the Cai Lon River in January, according to the Kien Giang Centre for Hydro-Meteorology Forecasting. The highest salinity rate is expected by the end of April and early May. In Tra Vinh province, sluice gates are being closed when the salinity… Read full this story
- A Delta flight delayed 18 hours left people sleeping on floor
- Virtual Insecurity: Who's in Control of Your Virtual Machines?
- Critical flaw found in software used by many industrial control systems
- Six Essential Steps to Secure Academia
- Arfield puts Rangers in control of Europa League play-off bid
- Breen in full control as he steers way to Tarmac title
- Beto O’Rourke Asks Fellow Candidates to Support Gun Control Plan
- MIT Climate Scientist Dr. Richard Lindzen explains: Believing that CO2 controls the climate “is pretty close to believing in magic”
- SAP (Saltwater Amazonian Piranha) - Sabotage Eyed As Possible Cause Of Undersea Cable Cuts
- Delta's excellent customer service should inspire your IT team
Mekong Delta provinces take steps to control saltwater intrusion have 356 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.