In the 1980s, when life in New York City was an endless struggle to die of natural causes, Donald Trump thought he was on top of the world. It took the presidency for him to learn that he’d always been a citywide joke. It’s unfortunate that no one told him so back then, not even the true legends of New York: In 1983, when I worked for ABC Sports, I was with Howard Cosell as he interviewed Trump. When we left Trump Tower, Cosell said, “I’ve never met anyone luckier to be born rich.” To this day, Trump recalls Cosell fondly. If he only knew.
Now President Trump has chosen to leave New York for Florida: The New York Times reported last week that Trump had filed a “declaration of domicile” in September stating that Palm Beach will be his permanent residence.
Actually, chosen is the wrong word. “Fleeing” before he’s excommunicated is more like it. But still, in the annals of New York history, it’s important to acknowledge that Trump’s change of address marks the end of a totally insignificant era.
Clearing up the chaos of traffic and protests on Fifth Avenue that his presidency has caused will be the only impact his move has on the city. It’s not like he’s been paying much in the way of taxes. And the truth is, Trump, the lifelong New Yorker, was never a New Yorker. He was a tourist.
- Jimmy Kimmel Thinks He Knows Who Penned The Anti-Donald Trump New York Times Op-Ed
- Pictured: Donald Trump Jr.'s 2017 Halloween costume when he dressed up in superhero spandex and a mask of his FATHER – and bumped into a horrified Huma Abedin on the streets of New York
- Donald Trump Jr. Floats a Run For Governor of New York: ‘The Politics Bug Bit Me’
- Highlights (and low lights) of the 55th New York Film Festival
- George H. W. Bush Rips ‘Blowhard’ Trump in New Book: ‘I Don’t Like Him’
- World's Greatest Living Violinist Itzhak Perlman on Anti-Semitism, Trump and New Documentary
- Late-Night Hosts Tease Trump Over TV, Soda Habits Revealed in New York Times
- Close friend of man who died in Trump Tower fire says President once called victim 'crazy Jew'
- Michael Cohen Smokes Cigars on New York Street With a Bunch of Bros Amid Criminal Investigation
- 'SNL' Cast's Moms Critique Trump Jokes in Mothers Day-Themed Cold Open
- Melania Trump says there are people in the White House she doesn't trust
- New York Comic-Con 2018 in Review: Celebrity Sightings, Absurd Game Shows, and Lessons in Cosplay
- Bret Stephens: Idea That Trump Wall Will Meet ‘Demands of the Laura Ingrahams of The World Is a Joke’
- E. Jean Carroll Speaks on Alleged Trump Sexual Assault
- Trump's Personal Assistant, Madeleine Westerhout, Steps Down
- Elie Mystal Fantasizes About Ramming Car into Trump Lobby
- Trump Remarks Inspire #CivilWarSignup Hashtag
- Australian Prime Minister Roasts Trump in Leaked Audio: ‘Believe Me!’
- Chris Matthews: Trump Changed Republicans Into A ‘Crazy, Tribalist, Don’t Want To Think’ Party
- Jordan Klepper, Seth Meyers Take On Trump's New 'Access Hollywood' Tape Claims
Trump Was Always a Joke in New York have 509 words, post on www.theatlantic.com at November 4, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.