A couple have revealed their shock after discovering a broken electric socket in the kitchen of their home is actually a secret safe.
For more than two years, Darren Steels, 45, and his partner, who live in Hucknall, were bewildered by the double plug socket.
It was in a good location near the bottom of the stairs, but it had never worked since they bought the property in Bolingey Way back in July 2017 – which proved a frustration for them.
‘We tried to plug things into it,’ explained Darren. ‘It’s perfectly placed for vacuuming the stairs, instead of having the cord running across the kitchen floor.’
Darren Steels, 45, who lives with his partner in Hucknall, told of the moment he discovered a double plug socket in his house was actually a secret safe
A video which the couple shared to Twitter on Sunday shows the moment they discovered exactly why the socket has been broken for so long
The socket didn’t feel loose or anything, and when the couple had decorators in to redo the kitchen soon after they moved in, nothing was flagged up.
‘People have just painted around it,’ he added.
Eventually, they decided to ask an electrician to try and sort it out and get it fixed.
‘I was just fed up with it,’ explained Darren. ‘We had an electrician come round to do some other bits and bobs and I asked him to have a look at it.’
The electrician confirmed there was no current to the socket, before trying to tackle the problem in a different way.
‘He prised it open, and it came away from the wall,’ explained restaurant manager Darren. ‘And what was revealed was – a secret safe.’
Sadly, though, much to the couple’s disappointment, it wasn’t filled with cash or valuables.
‘There was just dust, fluff and a dead spider in it,’ said Darren.
Fed up with the plug socket (pictured) not working, the couple asked an electrician to take a look in a bid to try and fix it
Following the shock discovery, many took to social media to joke they’ll be checking their plug sockets later
After posting a video of it online on Sunday, it has racked up more than 60,000 views.
‘I have a socket that doesn’t work….absolutely checking it later!!’ wrote one Twitter user.
‘That’s both hilarious and sort of James Bond,’ commented another, while a third penned: ’I always wanted one of those as a kid.’
A fourth joked: ’Don’t store anything too valuable in there now. People will know!! Brilliant idea though. Alf and Audrey had one on Coronation Street.’
A further added: ’I remember seeing those in the Argos catalogues in the 90’s. Always wanted one.’
The safe should have a key which slots into one of the the holes for the plug pins, but it was unlocked – and Darren said he didn’t have the key for it.
However, he told how he would be keeping the safe as it was, for ‘posterity’.
- Couple discovers the real reason their power point isn’t working
- Couple baffled for two years by ‘broken socket’ under stairs are shocked to discover it’s a SAFE
- Couple baffled by 'broken socket' under stairs left amazed by what it actually is
- Shocking CCTV of teen, 19, scaling neighbour’s fence to steal little girl’s £600 puppy – and pet is still missing
- Grace Millane gave man on BDSM site list of sex fetishes like electric shocks and being ‘submissive slave’, court hears
- Jeffrey Epstein’s life ‘in jeopardy’ as powerful pals ‘don’t want their secrets out’, victim’s lawyer claims
- Parents tried to secretly dissolve toddler daughter’s body in acid when she drowned because nobody was looking after her
- Neighbour shocked when he opened a mistakenly delivered parcel and finds a 14-inch sex toy
- Over 20 per cent of Britain’s saddle-shy men CAN’T ride a bicycle, shock study reveals
- Shocking video shows teacher eating semen-filled pancakes as boy, 15, is JAILED for disgusting prank
- Headteacher cruelly brands Greta Thunberg a ‘little girl with mental problems’ in shocking letter telling pupils to ignore her ‘doomsday waffle talk’
- What is the male pill and would the contraceptive jab actually work?
- What Secret Male Sexual Fantasy Is Surprisingly Common?
- A secret Shins show, the new Edgar Wright movie, and everything else
- 10 More Actually-Useful Amazon Items Under $10 Everyone Should Have
- The Lamborghini Museum houses 55 Years of technical innovation
- Fury as police 'threaten to ARREST locals' for tearing down family flowers left after 'tragic death' of burglar while fire brigade fit smoke alarms in house OAP has had to flee due to fear of reprisals from travellers
- You're not Elsa! Pregnant Kate bonds with children in Harlem who had been expecting a princess from Frozen...
- Royals remember the heroes of 9/11: A somber Prince William and Kate pay tribute at WTC memorial as they brave gloomy weather
Shocked couple discover a broken double plug socket in their house is actually a secret SAFE have 848 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 19, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.