RIYADH (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia’s vice minister of defense visited Oman on Monday and met with ruler Sultan Qaboos, Omani state news agency ONA reported, following a deal to end a power struggle in the south of Yemen.
The Saudi defense ministry said Prince Khalid bin Salman, a son of the king, would meet with several Omani officials to discuss bilateral ties as well as regional security and stability.
Neither statement mentioned Yemen, where Saudi Arabia is backing the internationally recognized government against the Iran-aligned Houthis.
Oman has largely remained neutral but has hosted talks to try to resolve the conflict and previously used its good relations with the Houthis and Iran to mediate with Riyadh and Washington.
The deal signed last week between the Saudi-backed government and southern separatists was hailed by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as a step toward a wider political solution to end the multifaceted conflict.
Reporting by Stephen Kalin; Editing by Sandra Maler
- Arab ministers counter-attack on Jerusalem status
- Saudi Arabia seeks to ratchet up pressure against Iran
- US warns citizens against risks of travel to Saudi Arabia
- Lebanon demands Saudi Arabia return Prime Minister Saad Hariri
- PM meets with Saudi princess and pledges UK support to get more girls in Saudi Arabia playing sport
- Lebanon's premier Saad Hariri meets President Macron in Paris
- Lebanon's premier Hariri meets President Macron in Paris, says will return to Lebanon
- Iran foreign minister ridicules Trump 'blunder' at UN
- Lebanon's premier Saad Hariri arrives in Paris from Saudi Arabia
- Nothing unusual about my snap trip to Saudi Arabia, says Shehbaz
- Iran ministers criticised for not blocking internet
- Senate summons defence minister over sending troops to Saudi Arabia
- A hard sell? Saudi crown prince goes West to woo allies
- Aramco IPO venue in the balance as Saudi prince embarks on trip
- Lebanon's premier Saad Hariri tweets before leaving Saudi Arabia
- Pakistan and US in a state of 'cold peace': Defence Minster
- Saudi foreign minister rejects Qatari proposal of EU-style security pact
- Israeli liaison minister gives Qatar mixed review on Hamas
- US Vice President Pence says Pakistan 'must do more' against Taliban
- Greek and Italian leaders meet ahead of Southern Europe summit
Saudi vice defense minister meets Omani ruler in Muscat -state news have 379 words, post on www.reuters.com at November 11, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.