FREMONT (CNN) — Elon Musk’s reimagined electric version of the pickup truck, the Cybertruck, has captured a tremenous amount of internet attention — and even some pre-orders, even though it won’t hit roads until 2021. The billionaire tweeted Sunday that 200,000 orders of the futuristic vehicle from Bay Area-based electric carmaker Tesla are in so far, just three days after it was unveiled to a mixed response.
Musk also emphasized that people pre-ordering seem to be going for the more expensive options. He said that 41% of the orders are for the triple motor all-wheel drive that starts at $69,900, as opposed to the single motor rear-wheel drive that starts at $39,900.
He tweeted that the company had taken out “no advertising & no paid endorsement.”
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 25, 2019
Pre-orders only cost $100 to secure, so it’s a lot cheaper today for someone to express interest in the cybertruck versus fully financing one. And it’ll take years for the truck to get into people’s hands — production starts in 2021, with the tri motor AWD version starting production a year later.
The electric pickup truck prompted corners of the internet this week to make up memes over its unique appearance. The angular style has been compared to everything from a doorstop or an old Apple Mouse to a SpongeBob Squarepants character or a triangle on wheels.
Cybertruck’s exterior is made from a newly developed stainless steel alloy, the same metal that’s used for SpaceX rockets, according to Musk. That alloy enables the car to be “literally bulletproof” against at least smaller firearms, including 9-millimeter handguns, Musk said.
During a Thursday evening demonstration, a man with a sledgehammer hit the sides of the truck without damaging it. But the truck’s supposedly unbreakable metal glass windows broke when struck with a metal ball.
© Copyright 2019 CNN. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Elon Musk is taking the Cybertruck for a spin on Jay Leno’s Garage
- Elon Musk digs at Tesla short sellers by selling short shorts for $69.420
- Tesla’s Elon Musk Launches A New Line Of Products — Short Shorts
- Kanye West Announces Presidential Bid and Elon Musk Endorses Him
- Lockdown strains another romance: California and Elon Musk
- Elon Musk mocks regulators, short-sellers as Tesla soars
- Nikola founder channels Elon Musk in lashing out at naysayer tweets
- Elon Musk visits Tulsa as site for new Tesla plant is considered
- Elon Musk flies to UK amid plans for giant Tesla gigafactory
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk earns first performance-based compensation from the company worth more than $700million in one of the biggest corporate pay packages in U.S. history
- Elon Musk’s net worth – how did the SpaceX founder make his money?
- Tesla Investors Advised to Vote Down Elon Musk as CEO Over Risk of ‘Reputational Harm’
- Attn: Short Sellers? Lulz as Elon Musk Peddles Brand-New Tesla ‘Short Shorts’
- Elon Musk is now selling Tesla shorts
- Astonishing moment Tesla automatically swerves to avoid a pig at night is revealed on Twitter - as Elon Musk boasts his vehicles have 'superhuman' abilities'
- Tesla Gives Elon Musk a $775 Million Payday
- Tesla's Elon Musk earns $770 million in stock options, company confirms
- Elon Musk opens Tesla factory in defiance of local orders, says he's prepared to be arrested
- Elon Musk’s Tesla to help pharma company in development of COVID-19 vaccine
- Who sells short shorts? Elon Musk sells short shorts
Elon Musk: 200K Preorders For Tesla Cybertruck have 553 words, post on sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com at November 25, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.