BANGKOK, Nov. 2 (Xinhua) — Heads of state and government of the 10 member countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will gather here from Saturday to Monday for their 35th summit and related summits under the theme “Advancing Partnership for Sustainability.”
ASEAN, a regional bloc comprising 10 Southeast Asian nations, aims to promote intergovernmental cooperation and facilitate economic integration among its members.
It was established in August 1967 by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The group later expanded to include Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.
ASEAN celebrated its 50th anniversary of establishment in 2017. Integration is gaining momentum in recent years as the regional bloc announced the establishment of the ASEAN Community in December 2015.
The ASEAN Community has three pillars: the Political-Security Community, Economic Community and the Socio-Cultural Community.
The highest decision-making body of ASEAN is the summit meeting of the ASEAN heads of state and government. The ASEAN summit is convened every year and Thailand is this year’s chair. According to the ASEAN Charter, the chairmanship of ASEAN rotates annually among its member states.
- Hopes for more Singapore visitors to Viet Nam
- Development orientations rolled out for ASEAN Community
- International concern over East Sea crisis
- PM's speech at French Institute of International Relations
- Tourism Property Market: Bright Prospects
- Prospects for Vietnam-US economic, education cooperation
- AMM 50: Development orientations rolled out for ASEAN Community
- ASEAN community programme held in Hanoi
- ASEAN reinforces relations with UN, Switzerland
- Vietnam's defence delegation attends int'l dialogue
- ASEAN economic ministers mull multiple issues
- June 1 - 7: PM pays official visits to Algeria, Portugal and Bulgaria
- Top Ten Cultural, Sports and Tourism Events of 2011
- PM Dung speaks at opening of 16th ASEAN Summit
- ABIS 2016 Turning AEC Vision into Reality
Backgrounder: The Association of Southeast Asian Nations have 271 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 2, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.