Vietnam head coach Park Hang-seo and his players received a jubilant welcome as they returned home on October 16 after outplaying Indonesia 3-1 in the second round of the 2022 World Cup Asian qualifiers at Kapten I Wayan Dipta Stadium in Bali.
Despite not yet being enough to help Vietnam clinch the top spot in Group G, the wide-margin win has lifted the Golden Dragons to third place among the runner-up teams after the fourth matchday, behind China and Jordan, who have better goal differences of +12 and +4, respectively (compared to Vietnam’s +3).
VFF Vice President Chong presented flowers to captain Que Ngoc Hai. (Photo: Bongdaplus.vn)
Midfielder Vu Van Thanh signed a fan’s jersey at the airport.
The players were a little bit surprised by the welcome of home fans.
At Tan Son Nhat Airport, the Vietnamese team officially dissolved. Trainers and players of the southern clubs returned to their management units. Meanwhile, Park and players of the northern teams continued on a flight to Hanoi on the same night.
Players of the northern teams continued to take a further flight to Hanoi.
However, they arrived in the capital nearly one hour behind schedule due to the flight being delayed in HCM City.
As planned, the players will return to their clubs in preparation for the 25th matchday of the 2019 V.League this weekend.
Midfielder Nguyen Quang Hai posed for a picture with fans.
The national squad are scheduled to reconvene in early November 11 to prepare for the next two World Cup qualifying matches against the United Arab Emirates (Nov. 14) and Thailand (Nov. 19), both at Hanoi’s My Dinh Stadium. These are the two important clashes that will significantly impact the three teams’ chances to conquer Group G’s top spot. Nhan Dan
- National team to begin training for World Cup
- Vietnam futsal coach looks ahead after historic World Cup qualifier win over Japan
- Ly Hoang Nam receives warm welcome home
- Nation through to next Asian region World Cup qualifiers
- Vietnam defeat Chinese Taipei 4-1 in World Cup qualifier
- At home, Vietnam to take on Thailand in World Cup Qualifier
- What sort of welcome will World Cup visitors get in Russia?
- Asia throws up intriguing World Cup qualifiers Sports
- Vietnam national team named for World Cup qualifiers
- Tempers flare ahead of Asian World Cup qualifying