|US President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un. (Photo: AFP/Saul Loeb)|
Trump, currently in Japan on a trip aimed at improving ties with Washington’s close Asian ally, also suggested that Kim was sending him a “signal” through a North Korean state media commentary on Joe Biden – in which the former vice president was labelled an “imbecile” and a “fool of low IQ” for criticising Kim.
“North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me,” Trump wrote on Twitter, apparently referring to weapons tests in early May.
But Trump tweeted: “I have confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise to me, & also smiled when he called Swampman Joe Bidan [sic] a low IQ individual, & worse. Perhaps that’s sending me a signal?”
North Korea is one of the top issues on the agenda as Trump meets with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Pyongyang fired two short-range missiles on May 9 following an earlier drill on May 4 — the first in 18 months.
The North had not launched any missiles since November 2017, shortly before once-reclusive Kim embarked on diplomatic overtures.
In a historic first, Trump met with Kim in Singapore in June 2018, and again in Hanoi in February at a meeting that ended abruptly with no deal.
- Donald Trump warns ‘twisted’ North Korea he will no longer tolerate its campaign of ‘nuclear blackmail’
- Trump tweet on nuclear button keeps North Korea's Kim 'on his toes'
- North Korea didn't react to false Hawaii missile alert, Mattis says
- Trump’s meeting with Kim won’t be piece of theatre, says CIA boss
- Trump vows Guam will see a ‘ten-fold’ boost in tourism despite North Korea nuke threat – as locals pray for peace
- Guam residents are fearing for their lives after North Korea threatened to nuke the US island into oblivion
- US says war with North Korea would leave 20,000 people dead EVERY DAY… and the number will be even higher if nukes are used
- Does Donald Trump have the nuclear codes and could the US President start a nuclear war with North Korea?
- US, South Korea united as inter-Korea talks occur: Pence
- Bolton appointment: Sign of confidence or chaos?