Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., pleaded with President Donald Trump on Friday to “change course while you still can” on Syria amid reports of deaths on both sides as Turkey increased its assault on Kurdish forces in northern Syria.
“Every concern I had about President Trump’s Syria decision is coming true in spades,” Graham, one of Trump’s harshest critics on his U.S. troop withdrawal decision, said on Twitter. “The reemergence of ISIS is on the way.
“And if you think only Europe is threatened — you are sadly mistaken.”
In a second post, Graham said: “The ability to recruit partners to fight radical Islam in the future has been virtually destroyed.
“Mr. President, change course while you still can.”
Turkey continued to pound northern Syria with airstrikes and an artillery bombardment on Friday, sending panicked civilians scrambling to escape, The Associated Press reported.
The U.N. refugee agency said tens of thousands of Kurds were on the move, while aid agencies warned that nearly a half-million people near the border were at risk.
In addition, Turkish officials in two border provinces said Thursday that six civilians were killed by mortar fire from Syria, while activists in Syria said seven civilians and eight Kurdish fighters have died.
Trump has steadily defended his decision amid strong attacks from Republicans and Democrats.
He tweeted Thursday that the U.S. had “one of three choices: Send in thousands of troops and win militarily, hit Turkey very hard financially and with sanctions, or mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds!”
Graham, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., proposed legislation Wednesday that threatened economic sanctions against Turkey in response to the assault.
© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
- Lindsey Graham begs Trump legal team to "prove" their claims as lawsuits fail in court
- Lindsey Graham claims Trump border wall is defense against "radical Islam"
- Lindsey Graham dismisses Trump's CPAC voter fraud claims: "I haven't seen evidence"
- Lindsey Graham says Trump should attend Biden's inauguration: "It's good for the country"
- 'This Week' Transcript 4-8-18: White House Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Adviser Thomas Bossert and Sen. Lindsey Graham
- Lindsey Graham suggests Wuhan lab leak theory would have changed 2020 election outcome
- Lindsey Graham attacked by Trump supporters online after condemning GOP election challenge
- Tom Cotton joins Lindsey Graham to break with Trump-backing GOP senators
- 'Pathetic': Lincoln Project video calls Lindsey Graham a "sniveling weak crybaby" in push for Jaime Harrison
- 'This Week' Transcript 9-24-17: Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Sen. Bill Cassidy, and Sen. Lindsey Graham
- Lindsey Graham blasted for blocking Armenian Genocide resolution: "What is wrong with this man"
- As Other Republican Senators Bolt, Lindsey Graham Cozies Up to Trump
- What the final polls say about Lindsey Graham vs Jaime Harrison in South Carolina as votes are cast
- "This Week" Transcript 1-28-18: Sen. Lindsey Graham
- Has Lindsey Graham Become Too Trumpy for South Carolina? Not So Fast
- Lindsey Graham tells Joe Biden to revive Remain in Mexico Policy or "worst is yet to come"
- Furious Lindsey Graham Calls Kavanaugh Hearing ‘the Most Unethical Sham’
- Jill Biden says she no longer considers GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham a friend
- Lindsey Graham says Senate must "get off our ass," pass stimulus package
- Lindsey Graham's quote about Trump "orbit" pardons resurfaces after 26 new pardons granted
Lindsey Graham Begs Trump to 'Change Course' on Syria have 542 words, post on www.newsmax.com at October 11, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.