Sen. Lindsey GrahamLindsey Olin GrahamGrassley: Up to whistleblower to reveal identity Senate Republicans divided over whether whistleblower should testify Cyber officials tout reforms with one year to Election Day MORE (R-S.C.) said it was “stupid” for President Trump to ask China to investigate former Vice President Joe BidenJoe BidenRand Paul demands media print whistleblower’s name Kentucky rally crowd behind Trump all wear ‘Read the Transcript’ shirts 2020 presidential candidates slam Trump over withdrawal from Paris climate deal MORE.
“As to asking China to look into Biden, that was stupid. Nobody believes that China would be fair to Biden, Trump, me or you, or anybody. Bad idea. That didn’t last very long,” Graham said in an interview with Axios released Sunday.
“I think that’s a frustrated Trump who feels like there’s two different games, that people in [the media] are never gonna really sit down and talk to Hunter Biden unless it’s a softball interview,” Graham added.
Graham’s comments came in response to fellow GOP Sen. Mitt RomneyWillard (Mitt) Mitt RomneyJuan Williams: Republicans flee Trump Isolationism creeps back over America, as the president looks out for himself The Hill’s 12:30 Report: Impeachment fight enters new stage MORE (Utah) calling Trump’s actions “wrong and appalling,” according to Axios.
“Well if you think the letter is impeachable, I mean the transcript, just say so. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But did the president commit a crime on the phone call?” Graham said.
Graham has defended the president, as have most members of his party, while Trump faces an impeachment inquiry launched by House Democrats over allegations that the president pressed Ukraine to investigate Biden.
A partial memo of a call between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky shows Trump asking the foreign leader to investigate Biden, a 2020 White House hopeful, and his son.
Trump later publicly asked China and Ukraine to investigate Biden when speaking to reporters.
No evidence has emerged to suggest Biden acted inappropriately with regard to dealing with Ukraine as vice president while his son sat on the board of a Ukrainian gas company. Biden has repeatedly defended himself.
Though Graham has continued to defend Trump amid the allegations and the impeachment inquiry, he has been separately critical of the president’s decision to pull troops out of northern Syria, where they were assisting Kurdish forces ahead of a Turkish attack.
- Trump suggests Xi should investigate Bidens: Impeachment update
- Trump: Investigate Biden's 'millions and millions'
- The Latest: Trump complains of "STUPID TRADE" with China
- Trump suggests he raised Biden with Ukraine's president
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump distorts census, Obama-Biden record
- Trump claims China is already buying more U.S. farm goods
- Trump assails China and orders U.S. firms to exit the country
- After Trump criticism, China denies selling oil illicitly to Pyongyang
- Steve Bannon discusses the Trump administration, China, economic nationalism, and the 2020 election
- Aides Claim Trump The True 'Whistleblower' In Ukraine Scandal
- Hunter Biden owns stake in Chinese company blacklisted by US
- Trump slams Joe Biden, Illhan Omar during Minnesota rally
- The Latest: Former lawyer casts Trump as ‘racist,’ ‘con man’
- The Latest: Cohen details hush money lie to Melanie Trump
- Automakers are rallying after China says it will reduce tariffs on US cars (GM, F, FCAU, TSLA)
- US Visa Curbs On China Over Uighur Muslims Dampens Trade Talks
- Trump lashes out at reporter over impeachment inquiry question
- Auto stocks slide as Trump threatens even more taxes on Chinese imports (F, GM, FCAU, TSLA)
- Trump and Putin met for 2 hours one-on-one, had lunch, and hosted a wild press conference — here are the best photos
- DealBook Briefing: A Favorite Trump Bank Questioned Over Kushner Credit
Graham: 'Stupid' for Trump to ask China to investigate Biden have 616 words, post on thehill.com at October 20, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.