LONDON: Son Heung-min and Harry Kane combined to put Tottenham’s troubles at ease by both scoring twice in a 5-0 win over Red Star Belgrade to put their Champions League campaign back on track on Tuesday (Oct 22).
Last season’s finalists were thrashed 7-2 at home by Bayern Munich in their previous European outing and have won just two of their last eight games in the Premier League.
They moved back into pole position for a place in the last 16 by blowing away the Serbian champions.
Kane’s near post header opened the scoring before a Son double put the outcome beyond doubt before half-time.
Erik Lamela smashed home a fourth and Kane rounded off the scoring 18 minutes from time on a night when Tottenham clicked back into gear.
“We know we have had a tough run of results and that was the perfect way to respond,” said Kane.
“We were ruthless in front of goal and got the clean sheet as well.
“The most important thing was the win. To win 5-0 was exactly what we needed.”
Son was restored to the starting line-up after being left on the bench for Spurs’ latest disappointing display a 1-1 home draw against bottom-of-the-table Watford.
The South Korean had been rested just days after returning from a tense World Cup qualifier in North Korea. He has been a shining light among a dramatic dip in form from many of his teammates this season and got his reward on a night Mauricio Pochettino will hope proves to be a turning point.
Kane has continued to score goals and is now up to 15 for club and country this season.
The England captain opened the floodgates when he met Lamela’s in-swinging corner on nine minutes.
Spurs also took an early lead against Bayern in a bright opening half hour before a second half collapse against the German giants.
But there was never any danger of a repeat against far more limited opponents, especially after Son deservedly doubled the hosts’ lead.
Lamela was again the creator with a teasing cross for Son to meet sweetly on the half-volley.
Pochettino admitted on the eve of the game that speculation over his future was normal, despite the success he has achieved in turning Tottenham from Europa League regulars to Champions League contenders over the past five years.
However, the Argentine was serenaded by a home support soothed by the sight of Spurs returning to form, for 90 minutes at least.
A much tougher task awaits on Sunday when Spurs travel to Liverpool in a repeat of last season’s Champions League final with revenge on their minds.
But another adventure into the knockout stages of the Champions League at least now looks probable for Pochettino’s men, as they moved a point ahead of Red Star into second place in Group B behind Bayern.
After a brief spell of resistence from the visitors, Son made sure the three points were safe before the break by finishing off a swift counter-attack from Tanguy Ndombele’s pass.
Spurs should have had far more than two more after the break. Lamela could have had a 15-minute hat-trick as he missed two glorious chances either side of a thumping left-foot finish from Serge Aurier’s pass.
Son was then withdrawn to keep him fresh for the trip to Anfield, but the chances continued to flow and Kane rounded off the scoring when his side-foot finish nestled in the far corner.
UEFA Champions League results:
Club Brugge (BEL) 0 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 5
Galatasaray (TUR) 0 Real Madrid (ESP) 1
Olympiakos (GRE) 2 Bayern Munich (GER) 3
Tottenham (ENG) 5 Red Star Belgrade (SRB) 0
Manchester City (ENG) 5 Atalanta (ITA) 1
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 2 Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) 2
Juventus (ITA) 2 Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS) 1
Atletico Madrid (ESP) 1 Bayer Leverkusen (GER) 0
- RB Leipzig vs. Tottenham: Champions League preview, live stream, TV channel, how to watch online, news
- RB Leipzig eliminate Tottenham to claim first ever Champions League last eight spot
- Spurs admit failing to secure Champions League would affect summer recruitment funds
- Jose Mourinho: Tottenham are in trouble, and Champions League qualification will be difficult
- Tottenham must recover from Champions League heartache for must-win Manchester United clash
- Champions League: Weak Tottenham Exposed As RB Leipzig Cruise Into Quarters
- Tottenham star Lucas Moura bursts into TEARS as Spurs are dumped out of Champions League by RB Leipzig
- Champions League preview: Spurs, Valencia face deficits
- Thrilling RB Leipzig runs riot to dump Jose Mourinho and Tottenham out of the Champions League
- Hugo Lloris: Tottenham need to write new stories in Champions League
- Dele after Champions League exit: “We have to fight. We can’t hide”
- Hugo Lloris blasted on Twitter for TWO early howlers in Tottenham’s crunch Champions League clash at RB Leipzig
- Champions League: Nagelsmann proves he's no 'Baby Mourinho' with scintillating victory
- UEFA Champions League: Leipzig eliminate Spurs to claim first ever last eight spot
- Tottenham, Liverpool, PSG seek Champions League revival
- Champions League | Tottenham faces an uphill task
- Daniel Levy warns Jose Mourinho that Tottenham’s transfer budget will be slashed with no Champions League football
- Champions League preview: Tottenham have a mountain to climb; Liverpool eyeing comeback
- Arsenal and Tottenham chasing RB Leipzig star Marcel Sabitzer after impressive Champions League showing against Spurs
- Neymar and PSG stars mock Erling Haaland celebration after French side dump Borussia Dortmund out of Champions League
Football: Kane, Son double up to reawaken Tottenham's Champions League challenge have 872 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 23, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.