Police were called to a unit on Mooramba Road in Dee Why on Sydney’s northern beaches at 8.20am yesterday where they made the gruesome discovery.
Officers took the deceased cat to a nearby vet who performed an examination and found it had been stabbed 20 times.
They found a second cat inside the 19-year-old woman’s home and seized it.
Elise Burgess from the animal protection charity FOUR PAWS described the alleged incident as “a very upsetting case … and one that will undoubtedly shock and disturb the community”.
“This cat clearly suffered a horrific fate, and would have felt a great deal of fear and pain in this violent act,” Ms Burgess said.
“Unfortunately, it is not uncommon that animals are victims of violence, with companion animals such as in this case being at the mercy of humans within the home. If they are mistreated, they are often unable to protect themselves.
“Sadly, animals are often considered as ‘things’ by those responsible for their care and treated as such, and not as the sentient beings they are who warrant protection from neglect, violence and suffering.”
Police arrested the woman and took her to Northern Beaches Hospital for assessment. She was later released into police custody and taken to Manly Police Station.
The woman was charged with torture, beating and causing the death of an animal, and committing an act of aggravated cruelty on an animal, and bail was refused.
She is due to appeal in Many Local Court today.
The second cat is now in the care of RSPCA NSW. A spokesman for the organisation said the animal is under veterinary assessment and “appears to be doing well”.
- Sickening images of animal cruelty watched by hundreds of children on their mobile phones
- Live as 4 Paws owners face 51 animal cruelty charges in court
- Police escort for 4 Paws owner accused of animal cruelty
- Wife stabbed 46 times by cheating husband vows to take him back after 20 year jail term
- Mum man fined for killing cat with screwdriver
- 4 Paws: A wounded pug, an infected terrier and a cat denied water
- Charity chief probed over 'benefiting from donations to abused animals'
- Man who trapped cat in snare after it kept fouling in hot tub is fined
- 'Shame on you': Life-time pet ban for mother-of-two after judge views pictures of starved husky
- Debt collector 'was stabbed to death by man she had gone to collect cash from'
- Warning as cats 'tortured' and killed after being stolen
- Cat found dead in homemade snare in South Yorkshire
- Man jailed for stabbing wife 46 times
- Farmer jailed after woman, 20, tangled and crushed to death in milling machine
- These heartbreaking pictures show horrific injuries caused to dog 'used as bait'
- Shocking act of cruelty as hedgehog deliberately killed
- India villagers crush tigress to death with a tractor in nature reserve as row erupts over big cat 'murders'
- Weir’s case shows up racing’s lack of integrity
- Dad stabbed by machete-wielding robber as baby daughter screams in next room
- Murder trial begins for man accused of stabbing Abbotsford teen at high school
Cat stabbed 20 times and thrown from balcony in alleged horrific animal cruelty case have 516 words, post on www.news.com.au at October 24, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.