International Grandmaster Liem drew with Artemiev after 39 moves.
Artemiev, 21, is one of Russia’s top players. He is defending European champion and has been tipped for World Cup glory.
Former world blitz champion Liem will next meet Artemiev in the second leg.
If Liem qualifies for the fourth round as one of the last 16 players, he will earn 25,000 USD.
The FIDE World Cup 2019 is a 128-player single-elimination chess tournament held from September 9 to October 4.
The matches from round one to round six consist of two classical games.
The finalists of the tournament will qualify for the Candidates Tournament for the World Chess Championship 2020.
The total prize fund is 1.6 million USD, with the winner taking away 110,000 USD./.
- GM Liem draws with Chess World Cup defending champion
- GM Le Quang Liem eliminated from FIDE World Cup
- GM Liem cruises to Chess World Cup 4th round
- GM Le Quang Liem to play tie-break at FIDE World Cup
- Vietnamese player defeats European champion in FIDE World Cup
- Vietnam’s top chess players eye glory at FIDE World Cup
- Liem set to play second tie-break in FIDE World Cup
- Liem defeated at Chess World Cup
- Vietnam’s No 1 player enters FIDE World Cup’s third round