Dina Asher-Smith believes she has proved her class on the global stage after setting a new British record to claim a historic 100m silver medal at the World Championships.
The 23-year-old, from Orpington, clinched second in 10.83 seconds – breaking her own national mark – to become the first British woman to win an individual world sprint medal.
Jamaica’s double Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce took her fourth 100m world title in 10.71secs while the Ivory Coast’s Marie-Josee Ta Lou was third.
Asher-Smith also revealed she gave up sweets ahead of the Championships and the magnitude of her achievement was quickly sinking in.
It was also Great Britain’s 100th medal at the World Championships since it started in 1983.
But it was another embarrassment for the IAAF with the Khalifa International Stadium virtually empty for the final.
Asher-Smith now turns her attention to the 200m, with the heats in Doha on Monday, and she is favourite to win gold in Wednesday’s final.
- The USWNT Looks As Good As Ever And Is Rolling Toward The World Cup
- New Year's Resolutions For These Drivers: Suck Less, Win More
- The Amazing Life of Sean Smith, the Masterful
- Simones, Winning
- Ultra-Macho NASCAR Championship Orders Its Trophy Plates From Tiffany & Co.
- What To Watch For This Weekend At Evo 2017, The World's Largest Fighting Game Tournament
- Alia Atkinson Becomes First Black Woman to Win a World Swimming Title
- Lessons from the world's largest robotics competition
- WRC Driver Gets Lost In Parking Lot, Wins Rally Anyway
- When Mercedes Almost Built The World's Greatest Gullwing Supercar But Decided Not To Bother
- Catapult launches AU$100m equity raising to target wider sports market
- They really are the Superhumans: Ukraine swimmer finishes heat well ahead of other backstroke rivals... despite not having any arms
- Meet the Superhumans: The gritty Channel 4 ad with the inspiring stories of pain and perseverance behind our Paralympians
- F1 Is Bringing Back Refueling
- This Female Driver Just Made American Racing History
- LeBron heads back to Cleveland. Was big data right?
- Racing Is Better When The Competitors Hate Each Other
- What Happened to U.S. Women's Figure Skating?
- Meet Your Obscenely Strong 2016 U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Team
- Halo 5 dev defends game's microtransactions
Dina Asher-Smith wins World Championships 100m silver have 349 words, post on www.itv.com at September 30, 2019. This is cached page on Talk Vietnam. If you want remove this page, please contact us.